ReplayTV Outlet store has a factory renewed 5040 for $98.99

This morning I searched froogle and found a link to ReplayTV's Outlet store
where they are selling a "Factory Renewed" 5040 for $98.99. I bought one. It
comes with a 30 day money back option and a 90 day warranty.

Any one have experience with the factory renewed models? You think I should
buy the lifetime activation? What happens if dies after 6 months - will
ReplayTV fix it (for a fee)? Or do I have to buy a new one and lose the
"lifetime" activation?

Jeff
7 answers Last reply
More about replaytv outlet store factory renewed 5040

    My wife, son and I have all bought refurbished 5000 series ReplayTV units.
    They have all worked well. We have life-time activation on all of them. I'm
    guessing a bit here, but I'd say 90% of ReplayTV failures are hard drive
    related, and that's the one thing that's easily fixed. That's not saying
    they are unreliable, just that when they do fail, it's almost always the
    hard drive.

    Bye.

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:35:57 GMT, "David Sommers" <dsommers@acm.org>
    wrote:

    >My wife, son and I have all bought refurbished 5000 series ReplayTV units.
    >They have all worked well. We have life-time activation on all of them. I'm
    >guessing a bit here, but I'd say 90% of ReplayTV failures are hard drive
    >related, and that's the one thing that's easily fixed. That's not saying
    >they are unreliable, just that when they do fail, it's almost always the
    >hard drive.
    >
    >Bye.

    One of my Replays is acting strangely sometimes. Maybe it's time to
    try a drive upgrade.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    If you are having spontaneous reboots, disappearing shows, lock-ups only
    cured by booting, loss of activation status, then very likely a drive
    re-imaging or replacement will fix that. Sometimes the original drive is not
    actually bad, and is curable with a low-level format and re-imaging.

    Bye.

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    [.....]

    > One of my Replays is acting strangely sometimes. Maybe it's time to
    > try a drive upgrade.

    [.....]

    You might confirm prior to ordering, but I believe that the policy is
    that the activation would be transferred to a unit replaced or repaired
    by them either under or out of warranty. As far as quality, a refurb has
    been tested to meet all specs and probably was returned in perfect
    condition to begin with. Customer returns, even if perfect, cannot be
    sold as new. They are considered "B stock" and are discounted
    accordingly. If you buy a new one through the Amazon website you can get
    a brand new unit for $21 more which gives you a 1 year warranty which is
    doubled if you use a credit card with purchase assurance. Based on the
    additional warranty, I'd probably spend the extra $21.

    From:Jeff Rusch
    nospam@nospam@com

    > This morning I searched froogle and found a link to ReplayTV's Outlet
    > store where they are selling a "Factory Renewed" 5040 for $98.99. I
    > bought one. It comes with a 30 day money back option and a 90 day
    > warranty.
    >
    > Any one have experience with the factory renewed models? You think I
    > should buy the lifetime activation? What happens if dies after 6
    > months - will ReplayTV fix it (for a fee)? Or do I have to buy a new
    > one and lose the "lifetime" activation?
    >
    > Jeff

    Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv,
    "Jeff Rusch" <nospam@nospam@com> spake unto us, saying:

    >Any one have experience with the factory renewed models?

    That's what I have -- a refurb 5040 with a lifetime subscription.

    >You think I should buy the lifetime activation?

    Hard to say. I felt it was worth it at the time.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

    My best advice is to use a surge protector or UPS. I have run Replay's w/o
    surge protector and I think it was the laser printer induced voltage sags
    that kept messing them up..they'd go into endless unstoppable reboot cycles.
    even 243 zones wouldn't get it's attention. I think I messed up 3 of them
    before I realized what a fool I was..thankfully ReplayTv sent me new
    replacements.

    Dale

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    > You might confirm prior to ordering, but I believe that the policy is
    > that the activation would be transferred to a unit replaced or repaired
    > by them either under or out of warranty. As far as quality, a refurb has
    > been tested to meet all specs and probably was returned in perfect
    > condition to begin with. Customer returns, even if perfect, cannot be
    > sold as new. They are considered "B stock" and are discounted
    > accordingly. If you buy a new one through the Amazon website you can get
    > a brand new unit for $21 more which gives you a 1 year warranty which is
    > doubled if you use a credit card with purchase assurance. Based on the
    > additional warranty, I'd probably spend the extra $21.
    >
    > From:Jeff Rusch
    > nospam@nospam@com
    >
    > > This morning I searched froogle and found a link to ReplayTV's Outlet
    > > store where they are selling a "Factory Renewed" 5040 for $98.99. I
    > > bought one. It comes with a 30 day money back option and a 90 day
    > > warranty.
    > >
    > > Any one have experience with the factory renewed models? You think I
    > > should buy the lifetime activation? What happens if dies after 6
    > > months - will ReplayTV fix it (for a fee)? Or do I have to buy a new
    > > one and lose the "lifetime" activation?
    > >
    > > Jeff

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 19:44:08 GMT, "Dale K"
    <dale@nospamabridaltrousseau.com> wrote:

    >My best advice is to use a surge protector or UPS. I have run Replay's w/o
    >surge protector and I think it was the laser printer induced voltage sags
    >that kept messing them up..they'd go into endless unstoppable reboot cycles.
    >even 243 zones wouldn't get it's attention. I think I messed up 3 of them
    >before I realized what a fool I was..thankfully ReplayTv sent me new
    >replacements.
    >
    >Dale

    I have both my Replays on a UPS. They react badly to power glitches.
    One of them won't always enable the video encoder afterward.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com