PSU Recommendation Needed Corsair vs Antec

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
In the past I've had some bad luck with Antec PSUs, but I'm aware that the HCG-620M model is frequently recommended. I understand it is the favored Seasonic base, which people dig.

At the moment it is going for about the same price as the Corsair CS650M (which is also somewhat recommended but occasionally derided) and is 80 plus Gold instead of Bronze.

I know the HX650 from Corsair, which is probably a good answer sometimes dip to the same $85-ish, but currently isn't. The RM750 is $90 at the moment, but that's pushing the limit of the budget.

I'm not sure I can wait for a better sale since my PSU burned up today after 4 1/2 years of service (stupid OCZ ModXStream Pro) and I hate being without it.

I understand you don't want to skimp on PSU's, but budget is important to me. I'm trying to keep the price <$90.

System:
FX-8320 (with a light overclock at stock voltage)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
Gigabyte GTX 660 (factory o/c'd)
8gb Ripjaws X DDR3 1866
2x WD 7200rpm (1TB Black and 500gb Blue)
Five 80mm case fans on a controller
Internal BD Burner
PCI USR fax/modem

Used for some gaming, video encoding, and a bunch of other uses. It logs many hours a day.

thereachguard

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
I would go with the corsair PSU it is powerful enough to power your components and corsair is a reliable brand as my driend has a build made up almost entirely of corsair

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
@LukaBoki - There seems to be a lot of love for the XFX supplies. I've researched it but balked for 3 reasons: Not free shipping (which is a rarity for something in that price range), non-modular (I've come to like a neater case, although I suppose I could give it up for the right price), and I've heard bad things about XFX customer service.

Also, if it's so great, why is it only rated Bronze?

@thereachguard - I have no aversion to Corsair. As a brand they are great, with nice customer service.
I recently put a Corsair CX430 in a parental PC just to upgrade a 10+ year old Antec 330w PSU. It was $20 at the time and the PC is used for email and browsing. Seemed like a good replacement.

I'll obviously want a bit better.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
A couple other PSU calculators I tried came up with 425-475W.
500w could be awfully lean with no room to grow.

The BD burner, fans and fan controller bump the requirement as well.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
So much for a budget. :(

Is there anything $85 or LESS that you'd all recommend? Don't get me wrong I've blown 3 Antecs and the OCZ in the last 10-15 years. I'm looking to spend a bit more, but hitting $100 seems unnecessary.

Do most manufacturers figure they only last about a year or two past their warranty?

That said, IF the calculators are to be believed, and my requirement is 450-475w, is 550w safe or is 600w+ a better idea in general, not just if I do something crazy like adding an SSD or second Geforce card?

I noticed that you mentioned the XFX TS 550W, but NewEgg lists two different ones by that name:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&cm_re=XFX_TS_550W-_-17-207-013-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207030&cm_re=XFX_TS_550W-_-17-207-030-_-Product

And then... huh, I know less than when I started.
My original question was between the Antec (which even if it's seasonic and recommended by many, I'm wary of because 'Antec') and the CS650M, because it has some good reviews, but people seem to like bashing Corsair. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Corsair-CS-Series-Modular-650W-Power-Supply-Review

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Is the hate across the board for Corsair or just the CX/CS series?

Like I said the RM750 is $90 right now, which is more than I need, but it's as cheap as the 450w right now and has a 5 year warranty. Supposedly as good as the old TX, but that's just words to me.

Still $90 is really more than I'd like, but I always like a really good deal.

And I will repeat the capacity question: How much additional power is a good idea?