Possible? Streaming from PC to ReplayTV 5040

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it would be possible to stream a
captured PC video file (in this particular case, encoded to a DVD/AVI
format) to a ReplayTV unit? I captured the file on a all-in-wonder ATI
Radeon card. I have my wireless network setup so the PC and Replay do link
up fine. I have DVArchive so I can pull files off the Replay. Just curious
if I can stream it the other way? Thanks in advance for any help.
7 answers Last reply
More about streaming replaytv 5040

    There's no way to stream it back to the RTV. Even if you could, the wireless
    link would be spotty at best...you really need a wired network to pull it
    off.

    --Mike

    "BoomerMcGee" <boomermcgee@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if someone could tell me if it would be possible to stream
    > captured PC video file (in this particular case, encoded to a DVD/AVI
    > format) to a ReplayTV unit? I captured the file on a all-in-wonder ATI
    > Radeon card. I have my wireless network setup so the PC and Replay do
    > link
    > up fine. I have DVArchive so I can pull files off the Replay. Just
    > curious
    > if I can stream it the other way? Thanks in advance for any help.

    "BoomerMcGee" <boomermcgee@insightbb.com> wrote:

    > I was wondering if someone could tell me if it would be possible to
    > stream a captured PC video file (in this particular case, encoded to a
    > DVD/AVI format) to a ReplayTV unit? I captured the file on a
    > all-in-wonder ATI Radeon card.

    I doubt the 5040 can handle playback of the re-encoded video.

    What I would do is the obvious: take a TV or SVHS output signal from the
    All-In-Wonder card to one of the video inputs on the 5040. You can either
    set up a manual record or just use it to buffer the video stream for more
    convenient playback.

    Jeff

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 11:26:06 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >"BoomerMcGee" <boomermcgee@insightbb.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if someone could tell me if it would be possible to
    >> stream a captured PC video file (in this particular case, encoded to a
    >> DVD/AVI format) to a ReplayTV unit? I captured the file on a
    >> all-in-wonder ATI Radeon card.
    >
    > I doubt the 5040 can handle playback of the re-encoded video.

    Probably not. The MPEG files have to have a very special internal
    format for the Replay to work with them. However, you can play them on
    the PC and use the Replay to record them. I've done that a few times
    (works with videotapes too).

    > What I would do is the obvious: take a TV or SVHS output signal from the
    >All-In-Wonder card to one of the video inputs on the 5040.

    By "TV" I suppose you mean the "RF" output. Avoid this is possible.
    You get the lowest qulity. SHVS (S-video) is good.

    > You can either
    >set up a manual record or just use it to buffer the video stream for more
    >convenient playback.

    Which also makes a good way to play tapes. Don't forget about any
    automatic recordings (which would interrupt it).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    TechTV's ScreenSavers did a segment on how to play your computer's video
    files on the ReplayTV. Go to www.techtv.com and search for ReplayTV or here
    is the link:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3651260,00.html

    Jeff

    "BoomerMcGee" <boomermcgee@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if someone could tell me if it would be possible to stream
    > captured PC video file (in this particular case, encoded to a DVD/AVI
    > format) to a ReplayTV unit? I captured the file on a all-in-wonder ATI
    > Radeon card. I have my wireless network setup so the PC and Replay do
    > link
    > up fine. I have DVArchive so I can pull files off the Replay. Just
    > curious
    > if I can stream it the other way? Thanks in advance for any help.

    Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and great answers. Since I
    bought my ReplayTV, this group has come through time and time again with
    terrific advice and guidance.

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >> What I would do is the obvious: take a TV or SVHS output signal from
    >> the All-In-Wonder card to one of the video inputs on the
    >> 5040.
    >
    > By "TV" I suppose you mean the "RF" output. Avoid this is possible.
    > You get the lowest qulity. SHVS (S-video) is good.

    By TV, I meant Composite Baseband, but I guess it was a little late that
    evening.

    Jeff

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 23:41:09 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >>> What I would do is the obvious: take a TV or SVHS output signal from
    >>> the All-In-Wonder card to one of the video inputs on the
    >>> 5040.
    >>
    >> By "TV" I suppose you mean the "RF" output. Avoid this is possible.
    >> You get the lowest qulity. SHVS (S-video) is good.
    >
    > By TV, I meant Composite Baseband, but I guess it was a little late that
    >evening.

    And I get used to too many people being lazy and connecting the RF
    output, since it's a little easier.

    I have 5 devices in my A/V cabinet that have RF outputs (2 DVRs, 2 sat
    receivers, VCR) and like the fact that I use none of those (they have
    75-ohm terminators installed).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid