Is this possible?

I have Dishnetwork and a VCR. It seems to me to be a real pain to
record a program on the VCR unattended. Is there a replay or tivo or
linux equivalent that will let me:

1. Record the shows I want unattended.

2. Skip the commercials

3. Copy them to video tape

Thanks so much !
4 answers Last reply
More about question

    I had a Dishplayer 7100. I upgraded the hard drive to 40gb and it allowed me
    to schedule recordings from Dishnetwork and record a little over 30 hours. I
    had the Dishplayer connected to my VCR so I could have scheduled the VCR to
    record but it would have captured the commercials to.

    Jeff

    top wrote:
    > I have Dish and a VCR. It seems to me to be a real pain to
    > record a program on the VCR unattended. Is there a replay or vivo or
    > Linux equivalent that will let me:
    >
    > 1. Record the shows I want unattended.
    >
    > 2. Skip the commercials
    >
    > 3. Copy them to video tape
    >
    > Thanks so much !

    The problem is skipping the commercials. Replay has a commercial skip
    feature that works well, but not 100%. Most shows will be fine, but it may
    miss some or all of the commercials on others. Also note that due to
    pressure from the advertisers, this feature has been turned off on the newer
    models, someone may be able to fill you in on which models.

    To the best of know knowledge your only choices are Replay TV or have
    someone monitor the recording turning the recorder on and off as needed.

    The Replay should be able to handle the operation of the Dish, but you
    may want to check that out.

    Good Luck

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >pressure from the advertisers, this feature has been turned off on the newer
    >models, someone may be able to fill you in on which models.

    The Commercial Advance feature is on the 4000, 4500, and 5000 series -
    it was removed on the 5500 series which is the current model.

    > To the best of know knowledge your only choices are Replay TV or have
    >someone monitor the recording turning the recorder on and off as needed.

    Well, ReplayTV, TiVo, or probably some other DVR.

    For that matter I used to use a VCR which had IR blasters on it to
    record things and control my cable box before I got my first TiVo.

    > The Replay should be able to handle the operation of the Dish, but you
    >may want to check that out.

    As long as it is a Dish receiver that uses an *IR* remote and not RF,
    then both RTV and TiVo will control Dish receivers just fine.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    On 4 May 2004 14:22:44 -0700, topdogqqq@rock.com (topdog) wrote:

    >I have Dishnetwork and a VCR. It seems to me to be a real pain to
    >record a program on the VCR unattended. Is there a replay or tivo or
    >linux equivalent that will let me:
    >
    >1. Record the shows I want unattended.

    Tivo/Replay/Dish/PC DVRs do that.

    >2. Skip the commercials

    Tivo won't do that automatically. As said (my interpretation), Replay
    may, but isn't 100% accurate. with PC DVRs, I don't think you can
    automatically skip commercials, but you can probably edit them out
    before you transfer to tape.

    >3. Copy them to video tape

    Tivo can only do one at a time. Not sure about Replay or PC DVRs.

    >Thanks so much !

Ptv Replaytv Video ReplayTV