Multiple Monitors with adapter

guyincube

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
I am using a win7 dell laptop with an intel hd graphics 3000 chipset.
It is normally connected to a docking station with two monitors connected to docking station with dvi and vga cables.
I recently purchased a usb3.0 to vga adapter from starttech in an attempt to mirror a colleagues setup of three monitors
Currently i have my laptop on the docking station(monitor 1) and monitor 2 connected to the docking station with a dvi, and monitor 3 connected via VGA to the usb 3.0 adapter.
Display settings shows all three monitors but i can only extend over two still. Monitor 2 and 3 will extend, so i believe the adapter is working, but monitor 1 shows disconnected and whenever i try to change it, it goes right back to disconnected.
I was wondering if there were any settings i missing or known issues with compatibility of adapters and intel chipsets

did you get an adapter with it's own GPU? because if I'm correct, some adapters still use the IGPU for graphics processing and if your igpu is limited to 2 displays simultaneously, that won't help. You need to look for one that uses it's own graphics processing unit.

also, did you put drivers on for that adapter?

guyincube

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Driver version: 9.17.10.3517

The specs on the adapter say nothing of a GPU. It is not listed as a yes or a no. Should I assume no?

Edit: Yes i did install the drivers for the adapter