Taking pictures of LDs?

Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to take
some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some to
lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what is the
best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds of lighting
but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight would be greatly
appreciated.

Aaron
9 answers Last reply
More about taking pictures lds

    "Aaron R. Schnuth" <aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME> wrote in

    > Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to
    > take
    > some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some
    > to lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what
    > is the best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds
    > of lighting but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight
    > would be greatly appreciated.

    Probably 2 lights pointed at the cover at a 45 degrees angle. Remember
    that you can see the reflections from the viewer so you should be able to
    move it around and or the light to see there are no glares before taking
    the picture.

    Barney

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:57:21 GMT, Barney <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote:
    >"Aaron R. Schnuth" <aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME> wrote in

    >> Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to
    >> take
    >> some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some
    >> to lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what
    >> is the best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds
    >> of lighting but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight
    >> would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >Probably 2 lights pointed at the cover at a 45 degrees angle. Remember
    >that you can see the reflections from the viewer so you should be able to
    >move it around and or the light to see there are no glares before taking
    >the picture.

    Draw a line from light source to laserdisc jacket. Invert that line to know
    where the glare is going to and perhaps add +/- 15 degrees to that arc.

    Don't stand where the glare is going and you won't photograph any.

    Consider using a difuse light source. Block the light from directly lighting
    the laserdisc jacket and only use reflected light from elsewhere in the room.

    "Aaron R. Schnuth" <aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME> wrote in

    > Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to
    > take
    > some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some
    > to lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what
    > is the best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds
    > of lighting but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight
    > would be greatly appreciated.

    Outdoors on an overcast day provides quality soft lighting without the
    need for flash.

    In article <ILGdnXF4GP9saRrdRVn-sw@buckeye-express.com>,
    aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME says...
    > Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to take
    > some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some to
    > lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what is the
    > best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds of lighting
    > but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    A flatbed scanner can do a pretty good job, I know you can't scan a whole
    cover on an A4 scanner but there's freeware software that can stitch two
    scans together so well you can't see the join down the middle:

    http://62.188.32.182:1453/~rid/LD-LicenseToDrive.jpg

    I know bits of the top & bottom are missing as that was a quick example
    test, but if you scan the cover in four quarters - join the top two &
    bottom two then join those two images together you should end up with a
    high quality perfect scan. The software I used to join those together is
    the freeware V1.6 of the Panorama Factory:
    http://www.panoramafactory.com/download.html

    --
    Rid

    "Aaron R. Schnuth" <aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME> wrote in message news:<ILGdnXF4GP9saRrdRVn-sw@buckeye-express.com>...
    > Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to take
    > some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some to
    > lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what is the
    > best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds of lighting
    > but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    S'funny, I asked the same question a month or so ago and Matthew responded
    with "document stand". The funny thing is I forgot I bought one some 20 or
    so years ago; found it in a closet and now it's back in service. You can
    see a pic of mine here:

    <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/doc_stand.jpg>

    One needs to experiment with lighting for LD jackets; so far I've had the
    best results outside (in the shade) on a sunny day, but the same effect
    can probably be achieved using diffused lighting indoors. You definitely
    don't want to use a flash -- causes "hot spots" and/or glare.

    Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll give it another shot! I really
    appreciate the replies.

    Aaron

    Aaron R. Schnuth wrote:

    > Hi all. I recently got myself a digital camera and would like to take
    > some pictures of my LD collection for my website, and to submit some to
    > lddb.com. Those of you with experience in this sort of thing, what is the
    > best way to go about this? I've tried in a few different kinds of lighting
    > but still get glares off the LD jackets. Any insight would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Aaron

    Aaron,

    I'd recommend one of those small desk top tripods for cameras. They
    (some) come with weighted feet and bendy legs so your pictures can come
    out smear free.

    You can play around with a long exposure under low(er) light which might
    help with the problems you are having. Still life is a very forgiving
    subject.

    Also, many smaller sources of indirect (bounced off something) will
    lessen glare than a single, direct source.

    TBerk

    In article <4VXic.41126$fN6.32592@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
    tberk@sbcglobal.net says...

    > Also, many smaller sources of indirect (bounced off something) will
    > lessen glare than a single, direct source.

    I found if it's too late to use daylight for photographing things (eBay
    mostly for me) then a 500watt halogen light shining at the ceiling works
    well, or use the flash and hold a small mirror or something white in
    front of the flash at 45degrees so the light then bounces off the
    ceiling.
    The result is that shadows are diffused (no sharp edges) and the object
    you're photographing gets a more even light on it from several angles.

    --
    Rid

    While it is true that you can use a scanner and stitch the images together,
    they do make scanners that will scan a whole cover in one pass. I have one.
    Check the following and see what a cover can look like.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3378953986

    Or

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4185236388

Laser Disc Players Cameras Video