Network transfer speeds slow WiFi and Ethernet

lievenazerty

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hi, the network transfer speeds and download speeds of my notebook have been really slow lately. I've already reinstalled the drivers of both my Ethernet and WiFi adapter. The link speeds are 100 Mbps and 54 Mbps for Ethernet and WiFi respectively. The problem is only with my notebook. My desktop still downloads at the same speed over internet and still transfers data at the same speed over the network to my NAS. My notebook runs Windows 8.1 Pro, but it was upgraded from Windows 7, the problem started a week after installing Windows 8. Also I've connected my notebook to the same LAN port on the router as my desktop is. I'm 99% sure the problem is my notebook and not my network.

Sounds like Windows 8 broke your wifi!

I would make sure you have the latest driver for the WiFi installed on your notebook, and reinstall it to be sure, and reboot. If this did not work, would then try a USB WiFi adapter and see if the speeds improved.

lievenazerty

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Yes it was indeed windows 8 that was causing the problem. I checked the speeds in Debian and everything was fine. Just finished installing windows 7 again, and everything is back to normal now. But I still don't know the exact cause of the problem. Probably just a faulty windows 8 driver.

Yes, must be the driver. There may be an updated one from the manufacturer. Sometimes the notebook manufacturer does not have it, and need to go direct to the Wifi card supplier, such as Ralink for the most up to date one.