Upgrading a couple year old HP

benzy2

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
After trying to run a few games I'm ready to upgrade/rebuild my machine. To this point I've only bought box store prebuilt machines, and typically went low-mid end. After checking a few reviews it seems there is a bit of consensus on some parts but not all.

First my current machine is an HP Pavilion p7-1010. Basically, it looks like everything will need replaced but the optical drive and probably the HD. It's an AMD Athlon II X4 645 processor, 6gb of DDR3 ram 1333, 1TB 7200rpm HD, integrated graphics, and a junk 250w power supply.

My goal is to play the more popular games (BF, COD, bioshock, etc) at medium to high settings enjoyably. No video editing or photoshop. Just a few games and some web surfing.

My plan it to start with the power supply. It sounds like a decent 500w supply would be enough. I'll probably go with an FX-6300 chip when I get to the processor, as it sounds capable for my demands and budget. I'd also likely jump to 8gb of ram too.

The total budget is around $600-$700, before OS. That will be spread out over a couple months. I'd like to get a power supply and graphics card now and run what I have until I have the funds for the rest of the build.

Knowing that, what GPU would you grab? I'm looking at the $150-$250 range, mostly at the R9 270x and the GTX 760 on the high end and R7 260x and GTX 750ti on the low end. I've been told to check if the card will fit my current case, which looks fairly deep, though I haven't had it open. I'm also not sure if some of those cards would be better suited down the road for the FX-6300 processor. Any input would be great. I know anything will be better than the integrated graphics, but I'd like to do this once rather than return parts until I figure out what I'm doing.

replace the motherboard this needs to be first on your list

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly

benzy2

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
The motherboard is a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX. On HP's website it states

"Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
Integrated graphics: concurrent use of the DVI and VGA ports is supported.
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*
NOTE: *Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently."

I'll search for more info on that board specifically and see what I can find.