closed captions on a downloaded RTV mpeg?

Is there any way to maintain the closed captioning on an RTV mpeg
downloaded through DVArchive? And if there is, would the cc's stay if I
burn it to DVD? I use Womble and ULead DVD Factory. Does Womble cut the
captions? Do mpegs even support captions?

The only way I can see doing it is to output it from the RTV to analog
tape with the captions on, and re-record it into the RTV.

I recorded a very funny short Irish film shown on (I believe) Showtime
recently, "Finbar Leibowitz," but the accents were so thick I needed the
captions to understand much of it!

Jerry
4 answers Last reply
More about closed captions downloaded rtv mpeg

    > Is there any way to maintain the closed captioning on an RTV mpeg
    > downloaded through DVArchive? And if there is, would the cc's stay if I
    > burn it to DVD? I use Womble and ULead DVD Factory. Does Womble cut the
    > captions? Do mpegs even support captions?

    Normally, Closed Captions are a serial data stream impressed on one of
    the TV lines normally not shown onscreen (although improperly-adjusted
    displays can show them). This will not change with conversion to different
    formats (so long as the number of horizontal lines is not changed).

    It is my understanding that Closed Captioning was corrupted in the last
    software update. I don't get them anymore and I have heard others say the
    same. I was under the impression that the ability to decode the CC data
    was corrupted, not the actual storage of the CC data itself.

    Jeff

    Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<Xns94CBD1AE2D702jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>...
    > > Is there any way to maintain the closed captioning on an RTV mpeg
    > > downloaded through DVArchive? And if there is, would the cc's stay if I
    > > burn it to DVD? I use Womble and ULead DVD Factory. Does Womble cut the
    > > captions? Do mpegs even support captions?
    >
    > Normally, Closed Captions are a serial data stream impressed on one of
    > the TV lines normally not shown onscreen (although improperly-adjusted
    > displays can show them). This will not change with conversion to different
    > formats (so long as the number of horizontal lines is not changed).

    Mpeg, due to its lossy compression, cannot carry CC information in
    its scan lines. Instead, CC is extracted and stored in separate
    records sprinkled throughout the mpeg video stream. The problem is
    DVD players expect the records to be of a certain format and to be
    found at specific locations within the stream, while Replay TV has it
    in another format and has the records in different locations. The
    actual data bits in both formats are the same, so it is just a matter
    of generating records of one fromat from another, and reinserting them
    into the stream at the proper locations. I have written such a program
    and it works.

    > It is my understanding that Closed Captioning was corrupted in the last
    > software update. I don't get them anymore and I have heard others say the
    > same. I was under the impression that the ability to decode the CC data
    > was corrupted, not the actual storage of the CC data itself.

    As of the latest software release, the decoder has no problem putting CC
    into video output from the stored CC records in the mpeg stream. The
    encoder, however, is having problem correctly extracting CC information
    from the video input and generating the CC records. So theoretically if
    one take a normal DVD with CC, and convert the VOBs to replay mpeg with
    the proper CC conversion, the CC will show through replaytv perfectly.
    BTW, I do not have the reverse conversion program as I am not interesting
    in watching DVD through my replaytv.

    Very interesting. Can you post a link to the program? I'd like to test it.

    Jerry

    Jerry Slaff <jslaffNOTME@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<c662fl$87qq6$1@ID-116489.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Very interesting. Can you post a link to the program? I'd like to test it.

    I have it in the avsforum

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=3372201

Ptv Replaytv MPEG