ld player question

I just bought a used player (Pioneer CLD 3080) that has the capability to
play both sides of the disc.

Thing is, only the first side plays. The second side gets an incredibly
distorted image, and will not skip to other chapter stops, etc. I turn it
over and it plays just fine.

OK, I'm kind of new to this, so bear with me.

1. Are there two lasers reading the disc, one for each side? Or is it just
one laser on a track that wraps around it?

2. If there are two lasers, is this a matter of cleaning the laser that
reads the b side? If so, how do I manage that?

Or, if it is one laser, is there some kind of mechanical problem that I
could easily fix?

Sorry I'm using such basic terminology and asking vague questions. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil Robinson
1 answer Last reply
More about player question

    The same laser pickup turns over to play the side B. This is one of two
    problems. The mechanical assembly has been bent (parts possibly broken) or
    the separate alignment adjustments for side B need to be adjusted. Either
    way unless you are talented mechanically you'll need to have someone look at
    it if you want to fix side B.

    You need to be careful here as the cost to repair may exceed the cost of a
    good used working unit.

    Kurtis

    "Neil Robinson" <kneil@nos.pam.bitstream.net> wrote in message
    > I just bought a used player (Pioneer CLD 3080) that has the capability to
    > play both sides of the disc.
    >
    > Thing is, only the first side plays. The second side gets an incredibly
    > distorted image, and will not skip to other chapter stops, etc. I turn it
    > over and it plays just fine.
    >
    > OK, I'm kind of new to this, so bear with me.
    >
    > 1. Are there two lasers reading the disc, one for each side? Or is it just
    > one laser on a track that wraps around it?
    >
    > 2. If there are two lasers, is this a matter of cleaning the laser that
    > reads the b side? If so, how do I manage that?
    >
    > Or, if it is one laser, is there some kind of mechanical problem that I
    > could easily fix?
    >
    > Sorry I'm using such basic terminology and asking vague questions. Any
    > help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Neil Robinson

Laser Disc Players Pioneer