Hi! help a newbie!

Hi:
I am interested in starting this FTA stuff.

I can get a Satwork ST3618 system, it comes with
Winegard 76 cm Dish and LNBF ASC321.
Is this good to start with , or should I get a better box?

I have some DTV and DISH stuff , is that of use?
Do DTV+DISH LNBs get any FTA?
I have a 6FT winegard BUD, C-band with little holes,
can I use that too.
Tons of stuff, where to start? Got a FAQ?

Thanks...TOM
14 answers Last reply
More about newbie
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    The proposed system you mention seems adequate. You'll get many opinions
    on which is the best receiver available. Get a DiSEqC switch, and also use
    the 6 foot mesh dish for C band, as well as the Ku stuff on the little dish.
    Add a V-box or other positioning system to move the 6 footer. And/or add a
    DiSEqc motor (Stab H-H 100 or a SG2100, or a SMD312) to swing the little
    dish. You've got lots of options and possibilities.
    See www.global-cm.net . Look for the section called "Hillbilly Cable". I
    don't like the moniker, but the info is useful. I had a start on my own
    version of this idea using 3 fixed Ku dishes and a 7.5 foot mesh dish
    w/actuator for C band, prior to seeing his setup. Working on my third Ku
    dish now, and hope to get the big dish up in the next month or two. Keep it
    simple, or go wild. Your choice.

    Good luck
    MH
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    The system you mentionned is very good to start with because it is a
    blindscan receiver which can find feeds. With a DTV and Dishnet dish and
    LNBF, you'll be able to get the FTA channels on Expressvu (Nimiq 1 & 2) and
    Dishnetwork (110+119). You'll get only the audio channels and NASA TV on
    Dishnet 119, Gol TV on Echo 8 @ 110. A bud is really usefull to receive the
    c-band fta channels. A good website to have explanations is www.dvbnews.com
    "_TÖM" <xxxxxx@zzz.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    Ifhhc.2594$eZ5.2593@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Hi:
    > I am interested in starting this FTA stuff.
    >
    > I can get a Satwork ST3618 system, it comes with
    > Winegard 76 cm Dish and LNBF ASC321.
    > Is this good to start with , or should I get a better box?
    >
    > I have some DTV and DISH stuff , is that of use?
    > Do DTV+DISH LNBs get any FTA?
    > I have a 6FT winegard BUD, C-band with little holes,
    > can I use that too.
    > Tons of stuff, where to start? Got a FAQ?
    >
    > Thanks...TOM

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    http://www.al7bar.tk/

    have a look here "_TÖM" there full of info on whats the best IRD and what
    types of LNBs or dishes to use

    "_TÖM" <xxxxxx@zzz.net> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > I am interested in starting this FTA stuff.
    >
    > I can get a Satwork ST3618 system, it comes with
    > Winegard 76 cm Dish and LNBF ASC321.
    > Is this good to start with , or should I get a better box?
    >
    > I have some DTV and DISH stuff , is that of use?
    > Do DTV+DISH LNBs get any FTA?
    > I have a 6FT winegard BUD, C-band with little holes,
    > can I use that too.
    > Tons of stuff, where to start? Got a FAQ?
    >
    > Thanks...TOM

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Avoid the satwork system(reciver,dish and lnb). Satwork is the worst
    reciver that why it's so cheap. Go for Fortec Star 768 system:
    more info is here:
    http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Receivers/786NA.htm
    Fortec reciver is esay to set up, solid and slim.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    Thanks Mike, this sounds like fun.
    And is legal too. My big dish is looking for some use.
    The squirrels have been using it for a recreation center.
    There appears to be lots of birds and lots of stations.
    TOM

    "Mike Hedgepath" <mhedgepath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The proposed system you mention seems adequate. You'll get many
    opinions
    > on which is the best receiver available. Get a DiSEqC switch, and also use
    > the 6 foot mesh dish for C band, as well as the Ku stuff on the little
    dish.
    > Add a V-box or other positioning system to move the 6 footer. And/or add a
    > DiSEqc motor (Stab H-H 100 or a SG2100, or a SMD312) to swing the little
    > dish. You've got lots of options and possibilities.
    > See www.global-cm.net . Look for the section called "Hillbilly Cable".
    > don't like the moniker, but the info is useful. I had a start on my own
    > version of this idea using 3 fixed Ku dishes and a 7.5 foot mesh dish
    > w/actuator for C band, prior to seeing his setup. Working on my third Ku
    > dish now, and hope to get the big dish up in the next month or two. Keep
    it
    > simple, or go wild. Your choice.
    >
    > Good luck
    > MH

  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    _TÖM wrote:
    > Thanks Mike, this sounds like fun.
    > And is legal too. My big dish is looking for some use.
    > The squirrels have been using it for a recreation center.
    > There appears to be lots of birds and lots of stations.
    > TOM

    Since it sounds like your dish has been a critter playground for a
    while be sure to check to the feedhorn to make sure there isn't an
    accumulation of spider webs, bees, bird's nest, etc. It's easily
    overlooked, and is a major cause of poor/no reception.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles
    staring at computer screens all day. Filling out useless

    ---Peter Gibbons in "Office Space"
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    I'll be amazed if anything but the dish itself works!
    but the dish looks really nice,
    If the holes are small enough can it do Ku?

    TOM

    "Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHIS@FORNOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
    _TÖM wrote:
    > Thanks Mike, this sounds like fun.
    > And is legal too. My big dish is looking for some use.
    > The squirrels have been using it for a recreation center.
    > There appears to be lots of birds and lots of stations.
    > TOM

    Since it sounds like your dish has been a critter playground for a
    while be sure to check to the feedhorn to make sure there isn't an
    accumulation of spider webs, bees, bird's nest, etc. It's easily
    overlooked, and is a major cause of poor/no reception.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles
    staring at computer screens all day. Filling out useless
    forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on
    about mission statements.

    ---Peter Gibbons in "Office Space"
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    _TÖM wrote:
    > I'll be amazed if anything but the dish itself works!
    > but the dish looks really nice,
    > If the holes are small enough can it do Ku?

    If you're talking about a mesh dish some are designed for Ku some
    aren't. IIRC the rule of thumb is that if a dime can go through the
    holes while laying flat then it won't work for Ku.

    If you're tallking about holes that somebody put it with a hammer or
    a .22 - something like that, then it could be problematic.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles
    staring at computer screens all day. Filling out useless
    forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on
    about mission statements.

    ---Peter Gibbons in "Office Space"
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:12:56 GMT, "_TÖM" <xxxxxx@zzz.net> wrote:

    >Hi:
    >I am interested in starting this FTA stuff.
    >
    >I can get a Satwork ST3618 system, it comes with
    >Winegard 76 cm Dish and LNBF ASC321.
    >Is this good to start with , or should I get a better box?

    To start, good, maybe useable long term too, at least as a second box,
    whicy would inevitably wand to get.

    >I have some DTV and DISH stuff , is that of use?
    >Do DTV+DISH LNBs get any FTA?

    Yes, on the DBS satellites that use DVB (which is Dishnetwork and
    ExpressVu, which ave free audio channels and some video)

    >I have a 6FT winegard BUD, C-band with little holes,
    >can I use that too.
    >Tons of stuff, where to start? Got a FAQ?
    >
    >Thanks...TOM

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    The holes look about 2mm,
    like a fat toothpick size.
    Like I say the dish looks nice, the LNB and the arm,
    who knows.

    _TÖM wrote:
    > I'll be amazed if anything but the dish itself works!
    > but the dish looks really nice,
    > If the holes are small enough can it do Ku?

    If you're talking about a mesh dish some are designed for Ku some
    aren't. IIRC the rule of thumb is that if a dime can go through the
    holes while laying flat then it won't work for Ku.

    If you're tallking about holes that somebody put it with a hammer or
    a .22 - something like that, then it could be problematic.

    Take care,
    Rich

    God bless the USA

    --
    Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles
    staring at computer screens all day. Filling out useless
    forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on
    about mission statements.

    ---Peter Gibbons in "Office Space"
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    my dealer doesn't have fortec.
    How about pansat and coship?
    TOM

    "dvbcrazy" <dvbcrazy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Avoid the satwork system(reciver,dish and lnb). Satwork is the worst
    > reciver that why it's so cheap. Go for Fortec Star 768 system:
    > more info is here:
    > http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Receivers/786NA.htm
    > Fortec reciver is esay to set up, solid and slim.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:19:09 GMT, "_TÖM" <xxxxxx@zzz.net> wrote:

    >my dealer doesn't have fortec.
    >How about pansat and coship?
    >TOM

    Find a new dealer. :) Get the Pansat if you need it like today.

    >"dvbcrazy" <dvbcrazy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Avoid the satwork system(reciver,dish and lnb). Satwork is the worst
    >> reciver that why it's so cheap. Go for Fortec Star 768 system:
    >> more info is here:
    >> http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Receivers/786NA.htm
    >> Fortec reciver is esay to set up, solid and slim.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    I will recommend these two. The Pansat 2500a or the Fortec "Ultra".
    Both have AC3 and blind search. I personally have the Pansat and Im well
    pleased.
    Mike

    _TÖM wrote:

    > my dealer doesn't have fortec.
    > How about pansat and coship?
    > TOM
    >
    > "dvbcrazy" <dvbcrazy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Avoid the satwork system(reciver,dish and lnb). Satwork is the worst
    > > reciver that why it's so cheap. Go for Fortec Star 768 system:
    > > more info is here:
    > > http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Receivers/786NA.htm
    > > Fortec reciver is esay to set up, solid and slim.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb (More info?)

    merci

    "pierre lamoureux" <pierrelamoureux@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > The system you mentionned is very good to start with because it is a
    > blindscan receiver which can find feeds. With a DTV and Dishnet dish and
    > LNBF, you'll be able to get the FTA channels on Expressvu (Nimiq 1 & 2)
    and
    > Dishnetwork (110+119). You'll get only the audio channels and NASA TV on
    > Dishnet 119, Gol TV on Echo 8 @ 110. A bud is really usefull to receive
    the
    > c-band fta channels. A good website to have explanations is
    www.dvbnews.com
    > "_TÖM" <xxxxxx@zzz.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > Ifhhc.2594$eZ5.2593@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > > Hi:
    > > I am interested in starting this FTA stuff.
    > >
    > > I can get a Satwork ST3618 system, it comes with
    > > Winegard 76 cm Dish and LNBF ASC321.
    > > Is this good to start with , or should I get a better box?
    > >
    > > I have some DTV and DISH stuff , is that of use?
    > > Do DTV+DISH LNBs get any FTA?
    > > I have a 6FT winegard BUD, C-band with little holes,
    > > can I use that too.
    > > Tons of stuff, where to start? Got a FAQ?
    > >
    > > Thanks...TOM

MPEG DVB Video