ASUS Z97-WS and i7-4790k

Ice3m

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Ok, so I really want to overclock this motherboard and CPU combo and I just had a few question. I know the bios these days has the easy overclock mode, which I've done and gotten a little gain from, but it's just not what it should be stable at. I noticed while putting in the board it has a few switches for TPU (1.Disable, 2. CPU ratio boost, 3. CPU BCLK and ratio boost), EZ XMP switch (1. Disable, 2. Enable), and ASUS Dr. POWER switch (1. Disable, 2. Enable). I haven't switched any of them on yet so would doing that increase the boost of the overclock profile in the bios or is that a separate thing\Any suggestions for switch placement?

Also I do notice the ASUS AI suite 3 came with the mobo disk, but after looking around I read it's not a stable overclocking tool and just to use the bios. Is this true and i should just stay in the bios, or is that a good program (as I did a test of its overclock and it jumped the processor to 4.8ghz)?

It's a gaming rig with 2 nvidia 660 ti's and a cooler master tower cpu fan. Memory is at 24 gigs with 2x4 and a 2x8. 750 watt power supply. The 1008 bios to increase stability with the board and the 4790k is installed. If you need any more info let me know. I really don't know much about manually adjusting the clock speed and the voltage.

I really don't care about power saving, If the auto drops the requirement when I'm just watching a movie that's fine, but when I'm in a game I want everything to use as much power as it needs.

Ice3m

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
So is this a bad question or....?
I mainly want to know if I set the switches, which position for best oc and do I run the ez overclock in the bios before or after or not at all?