What would you use the 4960X for?

Midget_Miles

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I was looking through a Micro Center catalog and noticed the Intel Core I7-4960X extreme edition, and seeing that it cost quite a bit ($999.99) I wondered what was so great about it, after doing some research, I saw that it is basically the most powerful processor Intel has made... What would you use all that power for? It kinda seems like overkill for gaming, and not worth the price increase either... Is it for render-farms?

It's for bragging rights in benchmarks. Just like some people buy AMG Mercedes Benz that cost 2-3 times what an ordinary Mercedes costs. It gives you an incredible feeling of power if you sit at the traffic light and know you'll get to 60mph in about 4 seconds when the zoosk in the Chevy next to you will get there a whole 6 seconds later. And then you get to do it again at the next light. :)

Midget_Miles

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Didn't even think of that... That is really funny. I honestly didn't think the answer to my question would have anything to do with bragging rights... I thought there would be a good reason... NOPE. :)