AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series Dual Monitor issue

Sharlez123

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I've recently replaced most of the hardware for my computer and since then I've not been able to use both my monitors at the same time.

1 of my monitors only has an input for VGA (I'm using a converter for it to fit into the DVI output of the GPU) my other monitor is newer and has inputs for VGA and DVI but nothing else. Since I can only use the HDMI and DisplayPort cables to my newer Monitor, I've tried installing the driver software that came with the monitor but it just won't install, I do however not think this is causing any issues.

My GPU (AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series) has outputs for 1x Dvi, 1x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort. Previously I've been able to use the Dvi port + HDMI port for dual monitors (this worked before I replaced my motherboard, CPU and RAM).

Right now the Dvi output works fine for both my monitors, when I plug one into the HDMI output (using a Dvi->HDMI cable) that screen will be completely black most of the times and when it isn't the picture quality is very low with lots of grain.

If I use a DisplayPort->Dvi cable instead I get pretty much the same issues except the picture quality is slightly better. In this case however if I turn down the screen resolution from 1920x1080 to something lower the blackscreen issue is solved but still low picture quality with some grain.

Regardless if I have both monitors plugged in or not, using the DisplayPort or the HDMI port will show the same bad results.

I'm using the latest drivers for my GPU found at http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64#amd-catalyst-packages

Motherboard is also installed with it's latest drivers.

My computer is installed with Windows 8.1 Professional (not pirated)

I have tried pretty much everything when it comes to AMD Catalyst and BIOS settings, everything seems properly configured.

System Specs:
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
CPU - Intel Core i5 4670 3.4 GHz (Haswell)
Motherboard - MSI Z97 GAMING 3
RAM - Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CL10 1600MHz VENGEANCE LP
PSU - be quiet! Pure Power L8 730W

Harddrive - SSD 120GB Intel 530 OEM
Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

I think that's all the useful information I can share, let me know if there's something more.
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help!

lp231

Splendid
Try this, plug a DVI to VGA adapter to the DVI port on the video card and connect using a VGA cable to the old monitor.
Next use a DVI to HDMI adapter and plug that to the DVI port on the monitor, then connect a HDMI cable from video card to monitor. The other way is to buy a active Display port to DVI adapter and connect a DVI cable from the adapter to the monitor.

When it's all set, press Win+P to cycle through the available choices.

Sharlez123

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Your first solution is the way I had it installed on my previous Motherboard, however that doesn't seem to work now. The Monitor connected through HDMI shows blackscreen/very low picture quality (most of the times only blackscreen)

Using a DisplayPort->DVI cable, both monitors are fine before installing drivers then the DisplayPort connected Monitor works fine during boot but when Windows is booted it goes black / low picture quality.

I don't have a Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter, do you think it would work better than the DVI->DisplayPort cable I have now?
(looks like this http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/DP2DVI2MM6.main.jpg)