Unreal Tournament 2014 Pre-Alpha Available For Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
a NEW LOW for games, charging a MONTHLY FEE which is actually more than most of the hot current MMOs charge to play a PRE-ALPHA game!

the only people impressed with this tactic is Zynga

AUShollowpoint

Reputable
May 26, 2014
There not charging to play it at all if you are a developer using ue4 then you get access to it otherwise you can wait for the beta like I will have to. If your input to the alpha is so important then you will need to pay the subscription to ue otherwise suck it up princess your not a developer so why should you get the alpha to a AAA title. I'm really looking forward to this game and the developers look to be getting it right

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
With 19€ you have access to the full-fledged unreal engine 4, something that a person unable to read a simple article like this is probably not interested in. This is an alpha build for developers (and community) only, you are not missing that much really.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013

let me put it to you like this. if community feedback is so important, and they want more people who typically wouldn't already be messing with their developer account/tools, then why would i be paying _them_ so _they_ can "get my valuable feedback" ? Traditionally, companies PAY beta testers, not the other way around. this is just begging for people who are still light on the concept of alpha and beta ware to provide tons of asinine feedback and negative press.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Free to play this day and age unfortunately means either:
A) Pay to win
B) Nickled and dimed to death with DLC or add-ons.

Very few games break that mold anymore, I hope this title is one of the few exceptions.

For the many that have already missed it, the Unreal subscription gets you access to the game. Paying the $19/month isn't aimed at the everyday consumer but rather the developers out there (right now). Nonetheless, access is open to all regardless of who you are. The whole point is for the people playing this to also have the tools to a pre-alpha title so they can assist with its progression.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
The stupidity I have read has reached a new level. Basically if you are some one using unreal engine 4 you get to play the game. The reason they are doing this is because idk the whole lets make a game with the community thing. Pretty sure amateur to small groups who have made a few inde games use unreal engine 4. I am pretty sure Epic would want a way for those people to get access to the gam eeasily so they can share ideas so this can truly be game between Epic and the fans. This shows that epic is doing exactly what they said they would making a completely free unreal tournament between fans and Epic games this is not some lets make money quick scheme.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Chris, Boy, I think you both missed the point here, and tom did a great job of twisting an article for the people who don't understand anything. Dev's pay a monthly prescription to use Unreal4. The main devs of UT are making a f2p game and are allowing it to be completely open source. In such that they are inviting devs to come and help make the game with them. Those devs are able to play the game because they are making it. All tom is saying is " if you want to be a dick, and stupid, you can pay to act like a dev for a game in pre-production to play it before it's out".

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

I was saying the same exact thing you are saying. How can I miss the point if I said exactly what you are saying with different wording ?

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I think he means to address me. And while I'm aware of the intent. just like being noted though it seems a Tom's editor produced a somewhat misleading article. I've already taken my jabs and a few negative points for playing devil's advocate and pointing out article headline "YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THIS RIGHT NOW (but it's alphaware and you need to pony up $19/mo. if you're not a developer)

a better Headline would be:
"Unreal Tournament 2014 Pre-Alpha Download Free for Developers"

which aligns expectations better imho

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

No he literally copied what I said with different wording, then called me out saying my view is wrong when I pretty much said the same thing. I am actually pretty offended by him. So he was talking to both of us no one else here has boy in their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.