Time for a rig overhaul

spiritanimals

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Hello all, thank you for taking the time to view my post. My rig is almost three years old now and I think it's time to upgrade, but before I do I was hoping to get some guidance on 1) wether or not I should hold out another year or so for an upgrade and 2) what gear to get if I do upgrade. Main concern are the GPU and CPU, but am willing to upgrade other parts in order to future-proof my rig.

My box can handle almost anything I throw at it aside from a few things (FPS drops when too much is happening in Max Payne 3, TressFX in Tomb Raider, UberSampling in Witcher 2 and at least a dip of 20fps running ENBs with too many mods in Skyrim). With my rig aging and some graphics intensive games on the horizon such as The Witcher 3, MGSV, etc i'd like to ensure a streamlined experienced at max settings. Below are my current specs:

GPU - 2x GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 2560MB GDDR5
Hoping for a single card solution (GTX 780?) that will replace my SLI setup

CPU - i5-2500K 3.30GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, LGA1155
Looking for anything a bit beefier than my current CPU, willing to upgrade MOBO if need be but I would be content to squeeze a few more years out of my current board

MOBO - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA1155 Intel Z68

RAM - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB DDR3 1600
(plan on doubling this at some point)

PSU - SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V

Again, thank you for checking this out.

numanator

Honorable
Overclock that i5 2500k and you can throw a gtx 780 on there with no problems. You could probably also wait for the gtx 870 to come out, should be in a few months now.

A CPU upgrade at this point would show very minimal improvement over your current setup. Also "upgrading" to a gtx 770 from SLI 570s would probably not show enough of an improvement to warrant the upgrade unless you are having issues with SLI on certain games or something.

I would wait for the 870 or 880 to come out but they may be pricey to start.