Would anyone recommend buying from Overclockers UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAM28

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Hi everyone,

I posted a while back about building a gaming computer, however, I have given up and have decided to buy one. I have been looking at Overclockers UK "Titan Tanto DC" which has a Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2GHz Overclocked, GTX 770 4Gb GPu, 8Gb DDR3 2133MHz RAM, etc...

However, I have seen mixed reviews about Overclockers UK as a whole "not about this specific computer" and wondered if anyone on here has used them and if so had any good or bad dealings with them.

If anyone has any information regarding their experience with Overclockers it will be great fully received.

Thank you for your time.

plywrlw

Admirable
I have heard that their parts warranties are not always honoured as they should be, they should refund and replace in full within 12 months but I've heard of people being offered far inferior products to replace a faulty one. I don't know if this carries through to their built systems but Scan.co.uk and DinoPC.co.uk are good alternatives and offer lots of options for customisation.

Incidentally, I also find OCUk can be overpriced.....like the forum though!

plywrlw

Admirable
How does this compare?

Intel Z87/Z97 Chipset (custom-z87) £220.83

Customizations:

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i5 4690K £136.00

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Optima £21.99

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit £73.89

Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 £51.60

RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB) £37.60

Hard Drive: NEW! Corsair 128GB Neutron SSD £26.00

Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s £40.99

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Included

Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB £296.09

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio Included

Case: Corsair Graphite 230T £46.90

PSU: 650W Corsair RM Fully Modular £79.30

Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty Included

Product Subtotal: £1,031.19

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1715

FAM28

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Thank you for the response! I have seen similar reviews which led to me questioning whether they are a reliable company to use. With the OCUK they do not price it individually but with

windows 8.1
CPU, GPU, RAM (listed above)
Samsung 120GB SSD
Seagate1Tb Hard drive
Super Flower 550W Gold PSU (which may need to be changed to to the more demanding GPU)
Gigabyte Z87X-SLI (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
24 month warranty

It is £979

However, from the one you provided that has a much better warranty..

Which one seems better as I have no clue about AMD Graphics cards, motherboard quality etc?

plywrlw

Admirable
The R9 290 performs much higher than the GTX 770. The DinoPC build would probably be a similar price or cheaper to the OCUk build if you exchanged the R9 290 for a GTX 770 but I didn't know your budget so thought I'd throw in the R9 290!

The Corsair RM is Gold Rated and has Japanese capacitors so is well built. Some people have found them to be a little noisy though.

I think the motherboard in the build I posted is a touch better than the one in your original build but there's not much in it!

FAM28

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
My budget is in the regions of £800/900 - £1200 being the absolute max. When I click your link it has a blank basket but is it based on an existing pc but you have customised it?

The noise doesn't bother me, I have a 10 year old computer which crashes when I try to load google chrome so a bit of noise shouldn't be too bad haha

plywrlw

Admirable

Yeah, that's the one. You just need to pick the same parts I listed to get the same build. The build you linked to was good too though and like I say, should be all you need on that monitor for a good few years :) Even better if there's a way to swap the CS for the RM, bet they'd do it if you asked them for a few quid extra, they are a nice small and friendly company

FAM28

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Going to sound like a right rookie now but what is CS and RM? I'll definitely consider them and upgrading to the graphics card you suggested.

plywrlw

Admirable

They are the power supplies sorry! Corsair CS 650 and Corsair RM 650. The RM is nicer that's all!

FAM28

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for the response.

Yeah I know a few people who have used them but with it being a large amount of money I was a bit hesitant.. Have you used them before by any chance?

plywrlw

Admirable
Well don't bankrupt yourself on the R9 290, if you're gaming at 1080p the GTX 770 4Gb will be a fine choice and that's the card that comes with the build you linked to, the extravagantly named "Magma Wrath" haha!

plywrlw

Admirable
I've used Overclockers in the past but never had to return anything to them. Right now I never find them to be the best value and when you're buying parts you can't really go wrong buying from Amazon who will just accept faulty parts back without making you jump through flaming hoops!

FAM28

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
Yeah the bigger, more prestigious companies like Amazon will be much easier to deal with I can imagine, however, I am not confident enough to go out and build an expensive computer without have done one before so my only other alternative is to either buy a pre build mass produced one or one from either OC or Dino where they do it for you.

However, if I was building one i'd definitely opt for Amazon like you suggested

plywrlw

Admirable
Well here's my opinions on UK parts sellers, of course it is an extremely small sample size but every little helps!

I've had no issues whatsoever returning parts or ordering from CCL computers, Amazon (not resellers just Amazon) and Aria

Dabs and Ebuyer have made me do "diagnostics" before returning parts but were very fair and transparent about it

I've never had to return things from Scan but I've repeatedly had problems with their website saying stuff is in stock but then finding out days later through an email or me having to call them that they didn't have them after all and I could be waiting weeks. I've had this issue once with Dabs too.

I've heard good things about Novatech and I know they also build systems but I've never bought a system or parts from them because I'm from Yorkshire and won't pay more if I don't have to and they never come out cheapest!

I know DinoPC have a reputation for good service at a good price which is why I linked to them but they are definitely not the only good guys out there!

jaggafeen

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
use scan or amazon these idiots couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

3 days have gone by but they still have not sent the ultrawide monitor i paid for even though it has been in stock all the time.

rang customer services who promised it would be sent out but that was a lie.

jaggafeen

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
i posted a review about my experience on trustpilot and these scumbags replied to my review and called me a liar.

they have some cheek!

google ocuk racist and you will see what sort of scumbags they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS