Multiple monitors Usb onboard graphics

Baconhashtags

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I have a cheap computer with inboard graphics i use my flat screen as a monitor but i want to connect a UsB monitor as a second screen to enhance my user experience, will this be too much for my computers CPU i literally dont want my computer running all out trying to keep up and slowing down load time, does anyone have experience with USB monitors, that could help.

Solution
If your just viewing webpages, you should be fine with the USB to video, It will be slower but it would work.

If you open your PC up and see if you have an available PCI-Ex16 lane and get a cheap R7 260 you don't need huge Power supply for that and you have support for up to 3 monitors or more with it. Or you counld get a GTX 750 which is hair slower then the r7 260x but its able to support 4 monitors and should have a lower price tag. Both these options make the integrated graphic look like crap by a long shot.

Again these options should work just fine on a 300watt or greater Power supply, Im pretty sure your PSU should be better then that.

Baconhashtags

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

# yeah well I't a basic machine running windows 8.1, I'm sure its a i5-3340s @ 2.80ghz it has 8 gb ram but i can put some more in 1600mhz cas 7 ram but my xmp disabled as it is a Asus and i accidentally deleted the ram configuration tool, damn ,lol, running integrated graphics, standard HDD, usb 3.0 capable, I'm sure of the mobo as it is a store bought job. I did see a usb monitor spec that was 2.4ghz cpu system requirement do you think this would not be possible to run while using another full hd display,

USB interface (and video adapters inparticular) tend to be "slow". If you expect to run games on that secondary monitor, it will have poor refresh rates.

Any $100 PCI-Express video adapter will perform better than your on-board video. Just make sure it will fit inside.

Baconhashtags

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

# yeah I'm willing to pay £60 or so for an external graphics card possibly and just buy a second 21in monitor if you think this would work better, i would need one with HDMI output, but then I'm thinking i could just use my other computer that PC that should be able to handle two monitors any way, i read some ware that any computer with that run windows 8 can run two monitors, but my other computer has a dedicated graphics card anyway so it has a bit more power also Samsung offers some software to support multiple displays, what do you think.

Plus I have to consider available power from my factory stock PSU, because if i had to replace my PSU and add a graphics card it would cost £100-£200 quid considering my computer only cost like £350, .... But like i said earlier i could use a second monitor for my other computer.

If your just viewing webpages, you should be fine with the USB to video, It will be slower but it would work.

If you open your PC up and see if you have an available PCI-Ex16 lane and get a cheap R7 260 you don't need huge Power supply for that and you have support for up to 3 monitors or more with it. Or you counld get a GTX 750 which is hair slower then the r7 260x but its able to support 4 monitors and should have a lower price tag. Both these options make the integrated graphic look like crap by a long shot.

Again these options should work just fine on a 300watt or greater Power supply, Im pretty sure your PSU should be better then that.

Solution

Baconhashtags

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
So i went and bought a 21 inch (small) pc mointor for £100 and connected it to my VGA port and works great so far also it runs of AC power (mains) which is what I wanted haven't noticed it taxing my hardware yet sweet, Fine using onboard graphics on a i5-3340s

P.S its a samsung 1920/1080 on offer from the Samsung web site reduced from £149.99 free 1 day express delivery,