• HDMI
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Port
  • Displays
Last response: in Displays
August 14, 2014 6:38:40 PM

Hi all,

I have 2 monitors a 1440p gaming monitor an general 1080p monitor.

What cable should i be using for both. Hdmi, display port or dvi cable.

TY VERY MUCH

More about : dvi hdmi display port

a b C Monitor
August 14, 2014 6:49:27 PM

Display port is the newest cable standard, and is what I would recommend if available. HDMI and DVI use the same signal for video, with HDMI being capable of audio and sometimes networking.
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 14, 2014 6:52:38 PM

Whatever works. They are all digital and will give you the exact same image bit-for-bit.

DVI is getting a little old but is perfectly fine at least up to 1200p. For 1440p and beyond, you are probably better off with a standard that officially supports higher resolutions. Both HDMI and DP have specs up to at least 4k.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2014 7:17:53 PM

ty both very much. I was wondering if 2 cables work better together. I think for the 1440p ill us display port cable and for the 1080 ill use the dvi.

Although I could use dvi for both as I have 2 cables.
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 14, 2014 8:34:59 PM

No reason to use an older standard of cable over a newer, unless you just happen to have them on hand. Why buy what you don't need, right? :-) The DVI will suit your 1080p perfectly fine but I would probably spring for the Display port cable for the better screen. It's not as though you haven't already made a small investment there.
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
August 14, 2014 9:07:39 PM

As long as this is a 1440p monitor at 60 Hz, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort are all fine and I don't think there would be any difference in image quality. If you have to pick a cable to buy, just grab DisplayPort as its the newest and best standard. But if you'd rather just grab whatever's cheapest, I don't think you'd ever notice a difference.

However, if your monitor is 1440p @ 120+ Hz, DisplayPort may be required. DVI only supports up to 1440p at 60 Hz, and I'm unsure about HDMI.