Advice on recent Desktop Build

dallasfouse

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Wanting feedback from more experienced DIY'ers on the recent build ordered through Ibuypower.com

1 x Case Raidmax Horus Gaming Case - Black
1 x Processor AMD FX-8320 CPU (8x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
1 x Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P -- AMD 970
1 x Memory 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand **FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1866 ADATA XPG V2**
1 x Video Card AMD Radeon R9 280 - 3GB - MSI Twin Frozr Gaming OC - Single Card
1 x Case Lighting None
1 x Power Supply 850 Watt - Corsair RM850 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
1 x Processor Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
1 x Primary Hard Drive 128 GB ADATA SP900 SSD -- Read: 550MB/s ; Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
1 x Data Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
1 x 2nd Optical Drive None
1 x Optical Drive LG 12x Blu-ray Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black
1 x Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
1 x Speaker System None
1 x Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
1 x Monitor None
1 x Keyboard iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
1 x Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
1 x Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
1 x Rush Service No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 5-10 business Days)
1 x Additional Software Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote included
1 x Advanced Build Options Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring
1 x Advanced Build Options iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Advanced - Power Package (Individually Sleeved 24-pin ATX, 8-pin CPU, and SATA Drive Power Cabling)
1 x Webcam None
1 x Meter Display NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display
1 x Media Card Reader / Writer 12-In-1 External USB Media Card Reader/Writer (SDHC supported)
1 x 2nd Monitor None
1 x Free Stuff [FREE Game Download] - AMD Never Settle Forever Gold Reward - Select 3 Free Games (Choose from Sniper Elite III, Thief, Murdered: Soul Suspect, and more) - Free with purchase of R9 280 and R9 290 Series Graphics Card
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction None
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion None
1 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive None
1 x USB Expansion Card PCI-Express USB 3.0 Expansion Card (2x External Port + 1x Header)
1 x Case Engraving Service None

g-unit1111

Titan
The case is junk - Raidmax is among the worst of the worst, and that SSD is OK at best. I'm kind of leery when they say things like "Corsair or major brand" because at that price you're most likely not getting the major brand, you're probably getting whatever parts they have left over. BD-R isn't really necessary anymore, and neither is the fan controller. You could probably build your own for less money and not deal with all the extra stuff that comes with it that you don't need.

plywrlw

Admirable
The power supply is way more than you need. 650W would have been plenty. A 990 chipset would have been better with that processor, especially if you want to overclock.

dallasfouse

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
RMA'd back. The only reason I purchased this is because of the price. It was a build for another customer that backed out, so it was at a discount. When I RMA'd back to Newegg, they suggested they tested the PSU and advised it was not as stated (800 watts). That lead to an issue with the GPU. I went ahead and crammed time for my own build, so far so good. However, it took some time, hence the delay in response. If interested I'll post specs to advise what I went with. Thanks for the replies, i'm not much for posting to forums.

dallasfouse

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I should have stated, this is the build I went with, the specs on the other build are what my negative remarks were referring to. Apologize for the confusion.

dallasfouse

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

I went with the 850 for future expansion. Raidmax that bad???? have had nothing but good luck with them in the past. Just add some fans and G2G. I used Ibuypower because of the interface to select parts. Ordered through various distributors, Newegg, Tigerdirect, pcpartpicker, etc.