wireless router internet sharing and gaming ping

mhmed009

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
so currently my family wants to buy a wireless router to share the connection to other laptop/smart phone devices in the house instead of being used by only 1 PC , however i use the PC mainly for online Gaming (dota , CS ,BF etc) what will be the effect of that on my Ping and how severe will it be when they use the internet (their only usage is facebook and it's flash games and pictures downloading) and are there any solutions to don't make their usage interfere with my ping?

bobsilver

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
Depending on the router there may be a QOS (Quality of Service) setting. Turn this on and list your games with highest priority. Things like facebook and other downloads are not latency dependent so they will be pushed down in priority.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Assistant

mhmed009

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

any router with any Type of QoS would be sufficent or it needs special/specific settings available to be effective?

You need a very special router. The vast majority of router that say they have QoS have lots of fancy panels that mostly do nothing at all. You can set all the DSCP values you want and the ISP will set it all back to zero the moment they get the data.

Unless you are one of the rare people who are exceeding the upload bandwidth most routers that have QoS will do nothing at all. Sure you can limit which machine gets to send data first to the internet but seldom is the bottle neck traffic being sent it is traffic coming in.

They key feature you need is the ability to limit the download bandwidth to a fixed value and do this limitation based on the ip or mac addresses.

Most Asus and TPLINK routers have this feature as well as things like dd-wrt. Tomato firmware has one of the most advanced QoS but it take a lot of knowledge to setup in a way that really works.

The key problem is the ISP is in complete control of any traffic being sent to your house. Since they could care less what is most important to you they will randomly throw stuff away that exceeds the bandwidth you have purchased. There is nothing any router can do to recover this data so very technically there is no way to have QoS on the download link.

Still the feature that limits download data to fixed values for certain users does mostly work but for a completely different reason than QoS

mhmed009

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

sorry as i didn't understand much from what you're saying , for example getting a TP-link Router ( which is kinda the only brand available in my city) with IP-Qos ( splitting bandwidth speed between ips) ,by splitting it for example 3/4 speed for PC and 1/4 for the Wireless connections would that do the job ? also if i double up the speed shouldn't that fix the *traffic* proplem? as for example a packet moving with 100kbps speed would be the same speed if the 2 packets move with 200kbps speed? correct me if iam wrong please , and ty in advance :)

The configuration of this is very complex so it will confusing until you really take the time to understand it. You can not split the traffic between wired and wireless since the router does not have the option to group traffic like that for QoS. You must create groups of IP or mac addresses.

What you do is match a group of IP you want to dedicate traffic to and put them in some group. This leaves all other ip in the default group. If for example you now have 5m of download speed and you wanted to be sure your dedicated group has 3m you would put a limit on the default group to 2m. This seems reverse but is the only way to actually do this. By restricting all other users to 2m you leave 3m unused for your preferred group.

How you calculate traffic rates is actually much more complex than looking at some speed. It is the average over some period of time so simple calculations like that are generally wrong because there are so many other variables involved. Still if you buy more internet bandwidth it always helps....until because its faster people use even more. You have to remember things like netflick and other video services detect and adjust the amount of data they send based on your connection. They will always try to use as much as they possibly can. I suppose at some point you will hit the maximum and then buying more bandwidth would not be used.