Benefit to having just games installed on a separate SSD vs a separate partition?

David36

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I right now have a 512GB SSD with a 60 GB partition for Windows 8.1 Pro (C: drive) and 452 GB partition for games (D: drive). I was considering purchasing a Samsung EVO 120 GB SSD or a Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB SSD for just Windows 8.1 Pro and applications and keeping my 512 GB SSD for just games. Any benefit to have a separate SSD for games vs a separate partition for games on the same SSD as the OS is installed?

David36

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
The reason why created a partition just for games is because most of my games are from Steam and I can have my Steam library in the games partition and that way I save time after installing Windows. Same with my Origin games library. Why is it not recommended to create multiple partitions on an SSD? Is it because of the design of an SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
A separate drive is preferable to partitions.

The 120 for the OS and application, and the other drive(s) for games and other stuff.

The architecture of an SSD doesn't preclude or prevent partitions, but having things on discreet drives is far, far easier than trying to manage partitions.