Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA)

Kauf771

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Hi!
The other day I bought a new ASUS motherboard, and decided to spend some time with the BIOS. Among some exotic voodoo names (and I don't know why ASUS does not provide a serious glossary, at least on their global site), I found the option to enable or disable WHEA Support. The definition about the setting in the user guide just follows the great ASUS explanations that over the years we all got used to:
"Allows you to enable or disable the Windows Hardware Error Architecture support.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]"
Whats the advantage of enabling it other than providing hardware manufacturers with system errors information (and maybe some more)?
I know that it collects info that is handled by Windows Error Reporting (WER), which according to the scandals we all heard about involving NSA abuses, as been extensively exploited.
After the polemic speech of Mr. Mark Shuttleworth (published on Linux Format n°184, June 2014, p.7), I got a little concerned about the really advantage of this marvelous new implementations (although this one dates from the XP times, but with less artifacts...).
Does Windows Hardware Error Architecture helps the system performance in any way, or on the contrary?
Is it really necessary, or can it just be disabled?