Which Laptop Brand has better Support

Dags

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Some years ago I bought a Toshiba laptop. after like 20 months windows 8 released and I upgraded. Didn't find newer drivers so I called Toshiba and they told me that they are not going to support this laptop with windows 8 drivers. Result is a really bad performance in games due to lack of proper graphics driver and really bad display with unreasonable high contrast. They never released an AMD graphics driver (neither did AMD)

The time to by a new laptop has come and as I have assured Toshiba, I am not buying from them again. So the question is, in terms of good future support (even if warranty is over), which brand you believe is the best? I had an HP dekstop and after 5 years someone formatted the recovery partition and HP sent me all installation disks from France, free of any charge. So definitely I am going to consider HP.

HP and Dell have ok support. ASUS has good support and good products and generally is very good about driver support. I've owned new laptops from Compaq, HP, Dell, ASUS, IBM and Lenovo and out of all of them IBM, HP and ASUS were the best in regards to support. I have had to search out support issues on the IBM and HP forums before though whereas ASUS has always supplied me with the necessary technical support, within the warranty period and after, to solve my particular issues.

You would have found pretty much the same result with any computer vendor. If it's not a current model, they often do not update the drivers for a new OS, esecially since you don't need to upgrade to it (YOU decided to install Windows 8 without checking for support first) and it was not released or close to release when your model system was made. It would be like being upset at Ford because the engine from your 1999 Mustang don't fit in the newer Mustangs.

The way to upgrade the OS is you first check for support for it for the hardware you have, and THEN you install it. If you have issues with 8, you can always go back to using 7 on the laptop. 7 is just as good for anything, and better at most things.

I would not go with a Toshiba laptop but that is totally beside the point you made, not because they would not support Windows 8 for you, but because ASUS, Lenovo, MSI and to a lesser extent Dell are more reliable.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
That is a hard question to answer as you read diferent publications they rank for support is different. All companies aren't going to meet 100% of the customers expectations for support. Basically all companies will only support OS and OS drivers for the version of OS the computer came with. They do have deal where if you buy a Windows X machine with 3 months from Windows X+1 coming out you get a free upgrade. Those will get better Windows X+1 driver support. One thing I've found is the quality of $500 Acer will be about the same as a $ 500 Toshiba, Dell, Lenova or Asus and a $1500 of either of those brands will usually last longer.