How to pick and choose between two monitors (both DVI) and TV (HDMI)

bobatoki

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I'm not exactly sure what to Google because I keep getting the wrong questions answered. Basically, I have two monitors that are connected to my HD6950 through DVI and a TV through HDMI.

I don't ever really want to run them all at the same time so this is not a triple monitor setup issue (I think). My graphics card can get a little hot so I prefer using my main monitor, but sometimes the second really helps my productivity when I have a lot of work to do.

So these are the setups that I would want:
1) Just Monitor A connected
2) Monitor A and B connected
3) Monitor A and TV connected
4) Just TV connected

I have not found a way to be able to switch between these setups quickly without having to manually pull out and plug in cables. I've looked into the display options as well as the Catalyst Control Center but it often gives me errors for certain combinations.

I looked into video output switches but I don't think that really addresses my problem.

Thanks for reading and all suggestions are welcome!

Solution
You have all displays connected with passive connectors. If you want to run 3 monitors, the third display has to be connected with an active adapter. In your case I would suggest an "Active DisplayPort to HDMI" adapter.

As far as I know, AMD can not switch between connected displays, or any software you could install. So there wouldn't be a cheaper solution because you don't want to run them all at once. Except, ofcourse, for the cheapest solution, manually switching cables everytime

Pacsylypse

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
What kind of TV and monitor do you have? I'm not sure I understand what kind of setup you are trying to have, are you trying to switch back and forth between the three of them quickly?

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
You have all displays connected with passive connectors. If you want to run 3 monitors, the third display has to be connected with an active adapter. In your case I would suggest an "Active DisplayPort to HDMI" adapter.

As far as I know, AMD can not switch between connected displays, or any software you could install. So there wouldn't be a cheaper solution because you don't want to run them all at once. Except, ofcourse, for the cheapest solution, manually switching cables everytime

Solution