Questions on custom gaming PC build

Bookworm135

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I am waist deep in research for a new custom build that I plan on making in the next few weeks. I have been using a Chromebook for about six months while I saved up money. I'm sure you all understand how badly I've wanted to get back on a PC. The last build my brother did for me was working well, but shortly after he passed away the PC's CPU crapped out and I lost too much data on the hard drive, so I decided to put it to rest too. I've been frantically saving money to build one on my own. Below I have my set-up so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qdQLdC

I have a lot of experience with computer parts but the main concerns I have with my current set up is in the compatibility of the motherboard with the other parts. I have less experience with motherboards than any other part, and I want to make sure this motherboard has enough fan slots and is compatible with my video card.

The case I am using comes with four fans, but one of those is going to be used for the liquid cooler for the CPU, and I want to make sure it has enough connectors. The motherboard has four four-pin connectors and one three-pin connector, which I am pretty sure it just the right amount. I figured I'd ask the experts.

Picking out all the parts didn't take as long as I thought it would, which is why I'm a bit more concerned than usual.

Other than that, just basic advice on the build will be helpful, i.e. advice on how it will run games, fit together, difficulty of build. I'm not looking for a build to blow everything out of the water, just ~$1600 is where I'm at. I was just looking for something that can handle mostly everything on medium or high at least. My budget is about at its max, so I'm hesitating about upgrading things, but I'm satisfied with most of it (with the confusion on the motherboard).

Thanks everybody for your advice and help!

Unless you'll do video rendering and CAD, I don't see why you would need an i7.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.66 @ Newegg)
Total: $1058.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-17 13:42 EDT-0400
This build will perform equally, if not better than yours. You can also add another GPU for SLI.