Issue with heat sink on Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 Motherboard

twmx

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Hi, i purchased a brand new motherboard and it worked well for 3 months until last Thursday when it suddenly went off after running continuously for 9 hours. I turned it on again not knowing what the problem was and the second time it went off again after 6 hours. Then i touched the heat sink right next to the processor where (Ultra Durable) text is printed and noticed that it was way too hot and i couldn't hold my finger on top of it for more than a second.
I thought it was the processor so i changed the stock fan with a Cooler master Hyper 103. The CPU temp. went down from 60 degree (with stock fan) to 45 max (with cooler master fan). But despite the change, it keeps turning off, sometimes after running for 2 hours sometimes it goes off in 10 to 5min.

Also I'd like to know if anyone else encountered this issue with gigabyte motherboards?

Temps:
CPU: 41°C to 45°C(max)
System (Motherboard): 33°C, Shuts off when after reaching 37°C

PC Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
Processor: 4th Gen. i5 4570
Ram: DDR3 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
HDD: Sata 1TB Segate
PSU: Cooler Master 460 Watts
Graphics Card: XFX 9600GT

I haven't googled for pictures of your motherboard, but if you can touch it with your finger, it sounds like the VRM or one of the other chips, not the CPU.

While some of those chips usually runs hot, you may want to look at temporarily removing the side panel oof your case to see if the increased air improves matters. If it does, improve or increase the number of case fans.

Also install Open Hardware Monitor and get all the temperature sensor readings. That may tell you and us with more certainty what temperature is excessive.

twmx

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Motherboard Image: http://i60.tinypic.com/2ed5xxj.jpg

Thanks for the reply krasten75. I have highlighted the heat sink which is turning hot on the motherboard before it shuts down. And it isn't the problem with the casing i've had both the sides removed ever since i bought these items. Because i read some reviews about this processor being excessively warm when running heavy apps.

I will post some screenshots of the temps soon.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

I do think it is a overheating problem. I would say add more fans or replace motherboard.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Does your computer restart? Or Blue Screens? Or do you have to force shutdown your computer?

twmx

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
I don't see how adding more fans would stop it from going off every 5 or 10mins. As i said it worked perfectly fine for 3 months with the stock cpu fan. And it doesn't restart or a Blue screen error. It just goes off Completely. I press the power button to turn it back on and then it goes off again. I'm sure it has something to with that Heat sink on the motherboard since its gets too hot and i can't keep my finger on it for more than a second long.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

It probably is a motherboard issue then. I suggest talking to Gigabytet about it before you RMA it. Otherwise, I cannot find a solution. You have enough wattage to support your components.

twmx

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Here a link to the temps readings from Open Hardware Monitor: http://i62.tinypic.com/e7me6s.jpg

They're quite low but still the motherboard heat sink gets way too hot and it doesn't somehow appear too hot in the software.

I tried disabling the "CPU Thermal Monitor" and "CPU EIST Function" in the bios but that too doesn't stop it from going off. I read somewhere that you have to disable these options when overclocking. Because when its Enabled the CPU frequencies get lower automatically.

I also found out that disabling thermal cutoff stops the overheated motherboard from shutting down. But can't find this option anywhere in the Bios.

Based on the location of that heatsink and the wording, I'm wondering if it is in fact the VRM or some other component of the on-board power supply/regulation. There are practically no reviews of this board on the Internet, which makes me wonder how you decided on this particular model.

Anyway, I guess you're out of options, since you can't improve the cooling and you can't even conclusively prove that it is as a result of that component overheating. So probably best to get in touch with Gigabyte and see if their tech support can work with you or arrange a RMA.

One faint possibility (and it may tie in to why you have a new mobo) is that your PSU is acting up and the VRM has to work harder to regulate the voltages. If you have a multimeter, you could test the voltages, but I'd not even be able to tell you where to start.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Follow what Karsten75 said. Those would be my only options if I were you.

twmx

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Apparently it's working fine now. My guess is that the whole shutdown problem started with the stock thermal paste burning out during the period of 3 months of intense heat generated by the processor, I noticed it when i first took the stock CPU fan out when it turned off on its own the third time. I then rotated the fan and placed it back in which gave me 6hrs of run time. So I replaced the stock fan with the Cooler Master fan and applied the thermal paste and used a small piece of paper to spread it on top of the processor and when i started it just went of in like 10min.

Then i reapplied the thermal compound using the blob method and pressed the cooler master fan on top of it and tightened up the screws. Which seemed to do it and it hasn't gone off since. Also i noticed that the ultra durable heat sink isn't turning as hot as it was before.

Judging by it's location I think the heat sink chip is connected with the processor socket. Which turned it hot along with the processor and whenever it got too hot it would go off.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

I knew that would probably be the case, but I am glad you found out your solution to your problem :)

twmx

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Yes, and thanks i find this forum very helpful and it's the first time i ever created a thread on this site :)
Anyway i'm just not happy with this motherboard and i might as well replace it with a Asus motherboard sometime later.