Advice - resuming a custom build after ~10 years

iambic pentameter

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Hello all. Looking for some advice and hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I started accumulating components for a custom PC build around 2004-2005. After getting a few parts, a unique career opportunity presented itself to me and my life kind of changed course very rapidly. I began traveling for work constantly and thus a new laptop became my primary system, and my new custom PC build became an afterthought.

Recently my life has been settling down a bit and I have been going through some old stuff and I came across these components, all still in perfect condition and virtually untouched in their original boxes. I do love playing with gear and I also love messing around w/ computers, and I think I would enjoy the process of building my own PC, the question is should I even bother using these old components that are almost certainly all obsolete by now, especially considering I don't have everything I would need and so I still need to buy some more parts before completing the build.

I haven't bothered to look up the parts that I still need so I'm not sure how much they would cost, but in my mind the question is is it even worth it to purchase those parts when I can just buy a modern pre-built system on Amazon or Newegg for $300-400 that would be comparable (or even way better) than my custom build.

For some details, here are the parts I currently have.

Praetorian ATC-201 Case
coolermasterpic1.jpg

Asus PC-DL Deluxe Mobo (dual-Xeon / Intel 875P chipset)
*note I do NOT have the chips yet. Also, I looked this up on ebay and it seems like these sell for around $100, so I could sell this and put it towards the cost of a new rig.
box-b.jpg

Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0 PSU
SP-500_Box.jpg

Radeon 9600 Pro (256MB DDR)
There seem to be a few different versions of this GPU. Here's a pic of my box:
radeon9600pro.jpg

I also have some old I/O stuff that can be used in this system if I were to go ahead w/ it… Plenty of old HDD's, a monitor, keyboard, mouse… MAYBE some RAM, but I'll assume not for now.
So the stuff I definitely still need are the dual CPU's, RAM, and heat-sinks i think (?) - did I miss anything?

So what do you guys think? Are the parts I need available so cheap that I should just get those and build this old sucker? Or should I sell off the parts I can and then get something new & pre-built that would be much better than this could ever be? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this (forget the build and buy something current) but I figured I'd put it to the experts.

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer.

The only reason to complete the build would be to have a historical antique up and running. About performance, there's no way it can even compete with even the lowest end current system...
So, basically, just sell everything and start new, you probably wouldn't even be able to isntall a current OS on the old build, so I don't think it's worth it as a funcionality object...

As I said, as decoration, it might be good!