Problems with changing password

Ron May

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
I have been updating my passwords for online sites. I finally decided to make them 11+ characters with mixed alpha-numeric and symbols for all sites. Only one issue - Tom's Hardware. This is a new account to try and figure out if there are restrictions in characters used for passwords?

Everytime I change it to the "tough standard", I can't log in until I reset my password and obtain an automatic one from Tom's.....

Solution
Hey there Ron,

Passwords must be between 6 to 30 characters and cannot include spaces. Could you email me direct at jpishgar@purch.com with a password (not your current one, no one from Tom's will ever ask for your current password) that you've tried that isn't working?

-JP

Ron May

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Thank you JP. I just want to be able to login with my old account. After resetting the password about 8-10 times yesterday, I didn't want to create larger issues.... :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there Ron,

Passwords must be between 6 to 30 characters and cannot include spaces. Could you email me direct at jpishgar@purch.com with a password (not your current one, no one from Tom's will ever ask for your current password) that you've tried that isn't working?

-JP

Solution
I finally got things to work - I believe the problem was in two areas:
1) I am using LastPass - and had Tom's Hardware set to "automatically login". I believe this is where the problem started. LastPass actually gets the parts of the form required to sign in, and performs an automatic signin in the background. For some reason - Tom's Hardware didn't like this setting.
2) There was something in my cookies and/or temporary internet files.

Utilizing CCleaner to wipe the cookies/temp files and removing the password from LastPass fixed the problem. I added Tom's back to my vault in LastPass, but did not recheck "automatic login". All is good.