G3258 BSOD at 3.8 GHz

Zers

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Good morning all,

I just finished building my computer and after a battle trying to get the AI Suite 3 to install, I managed and then proceeded to update my BIOS to rev. 1304 (MOBO is Asus z97-Pro [wi-fi ac]).

When I allow the AI Suite to perform the overclock, it starts at the base clock speed and works its way up to 3.7. Once increasing to 3.8, my system reboots. I am using the H100i liquid cpu cooler and my temperatures seem very low and stable(not breaking 36 C, thermal limit on AI Suite set to 80 C or OFF).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am not looking for a crazy OC but would like to see 4.2 - 4.4 GHz.

Set up is as follows:
CPU = G3258
MOBO = Asus Z97-Pro (wi-Fi ac)
Bios = 1304 (which supports the G3258 according to Asus)
RAM = G.Skill 1600 CL9 (2x 4 GB)
Cooler = Corsair H100i

Cheers,

Adam

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Some of those software OC'ing apps aren't very good. There's really no need to use one of those with a processor that has an unlocked multiplier. Do your OC'ing manually in BIOS. It is easy. Just increase the CPU's clock multiplier a click at a time and stress test it with something like Intel Burn Test at default settings. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4965-intelburntest.html
Eventually after several increases, you will reach a point that it is unstable. You can either back off to the last stable multiplier increase, or slightly increase the vcore to make it stable again.
All the while watching temps...