Should i switch from Console to PC?

xhazardcfc

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
I have always been a console gamer, for at least 15 years anyway.

In April I bought the Xbox One, and well I liked it...at first, the graphics were beautiful, but thats the best part of it. I felt like I wasted £400, plus membership fees add up and paying £50 per game is..meh.

I feel as if I need a need a change as console gaming seems to be the same old story.

But thats why I posted here, I want to find out your opinions, and overall your thoughts on whether its worth it and if i should.

Thanks guys.

Solution
I started gaming on the PC, but switched to the consoles (PS3) for the last 7 years, while I enjoyed it a lot thanks to great exclusives and overall a good system. The whole experience felt empty in a lot of places compared to PC gaming, so I decided to switch back to PC this time around. After switching, this is my 2nd year and I can honestly say, I don't wanna go back to consoles anymore.

Here are my reasons why I love PC Gaming:

1: It's cheap! Yes, the entry cost of PC gaming is more expensive than consoles, but...just within a year, I saved up to the console cost thanks to ridiculously cheap games. Why it is cheap? PC is more open market, you don't have Sony or Microsoft lock down and control revenue to satisfy themselves and...

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I myself did gaming on console and PC but lately I've decided to just use my PC for gaming since I've never been a PS fan and I dislike the Xbox One, the most common thing people will tell you is you'll have much nicer graphics with the PC, alongside huge multiplayer and being able to download games.

My other main reason is I rather put money into a good computer since I can use it for multiple things and not just gaming.

TheOfficalTanner

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Code:

Well...not future proof...Upgradeable is the prefered word. and also depends, go with where your friends are! ive been on ps3, xbox, and pc. Ive had great times on all of them but that is because of the people that i played with. Pc offeres more choice and very customizable. do your reasearch and i hope to see you on steam :)

xhazardcfc

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014

Most if not all of my friends are on console, but thats the thing i want to make new online friends and PC seem s to be better for that. On Xbox you get kids giving you death threats and calling you queer lol. What do you think, is iteasy to make friends on PC?

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I started gaming on the PC, but switched to the consoles (PS3) for the last 7 years, while I enjoyed it a lot thanks to great exclusives and overall a good system. The whole experience felt empty in a lot of places compared to PC gaming, so I decided to switch back to PC this time around. After switching, this is my 2nd year and I can honestly say, I don't wanna go back to consoles anymore.

Here are my reasons why I love PC Gaming:

1: It's cheap! Yes, the entry cost of PC gaming is more expensive than consoles, but...just within a year, I saved up to the console cost thanks to ridiculously cheap games. Why it is cheap? PC is more open market, you don't have Sony or Microsoft lock down and control revenue to satisfy themselves and their partners. On PC you have Steam, Greenmangaming, GOG, Amazon, and plenty of others all fighting for your cash. This heated competition further brings down the cost.

2: Long term investment: Forgets backwards compatibility, once you buy a game on the PC, you have the safety of knowing that anytime down the line you can access your favorite games. You don't need to buy 'remasters' to do so.

3: Speaking of Remasters, it is always awesome to play your old games with higher fidelity later on because you will have a more powerful hardware and/or modders will continuously enhance the game from technical perspective.

4: Mods: Yea I have to say it, mods only greatly extend the gameplay for practically unlimited time, but many tend to fix issues with the core game which many developers neglect.

5: More than just Gaming: With PC, you can do far more than just gaming. I not only do my work on PC, but with stuff like XBMC, I turned my PC into a multimedia powerhouse where I can watch TV shows, movies, listen to radio, music, etc. Right over here the value of your investment is completely justified in my opinion.

6: New kinds of experiences: PC is a constantly evolving platform which makes it the forefront of technological innovations in performance and gameplay. Thanks to the open nature of PC, developers don't need to take much risk if any to try out new types of games. With console manufacturers out of the equation, the connection between the gamers and developers is a much more intimate.

7: You decide where PC Gaming should go: There is no appointed company which decides what will be next for PC Gaming, it is up to you and your fellow PC gamers to decide where it should go next.

8: IQ: You will gain a lot of valuable technical knowledge of computers in general, surely would help you impress your girl friend!

Solution

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Trust me, there is no way nosey kids can enter PC gaming (Bliss!)

both pc gaming and console gaming have their own little niches and neither one nor the other are better in my opinion. they both have points where one or the other is the better choice.

personally i game on both consoles and on pc since it is necessary to do so if you want to play the most content and play it on the best platform. some games play MUCH better on the console then they do on pc and other games would be impossible for console and play MUCH better on pc. some of this is due to many pc games lacking controller support or true analog stick support.

you will find immature children gaming on BOTH pc and console. i've played on both and have seen them on both. staying away from games most of the kiddies play does help though.

some games are more popular on console then pc such as the COD series if you like those games and want multiplayer then console has a one up on pc. there are also console exclusives which require a console to play.

one thing i do like about pc is how it is backwards compatible with almost every single game. i still play a game from the 90's once in awhile on pc which just wouldnt be possible for consoles.

as noted earlier, mods and user content are also a good thing.

one negative of pc is that you will find quite a bit more hacking, cracking, botting and in general "cheating" then you will on consoles in certain games. while it is certainly possible on console as well... its not as straight forward.

consoles put everyone on an even playing ground. you will not find people with $200 computers playing against people with $2000 computers where they are at a disadvantage. the hardware is the same, the controllers are the same, performance and playability are the same.

if pc gaming and console gaming had a little more crossover then there would be no need to run both.

samortho

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I used to game on PC and console, I've owned consoles from nintendo to PS3. Well, I decided to stop buying consoles, one of the major reasons is, consoles this time aren't next gen at all. Another reason is that the exclusives are the same games over and over with very little games being completely original. Also, with steam summer sales I have more games on the PC than I know what to do with.

PS4 and Xbone will never play 4k resolution, they can barely get 1080. The higher the resolution the better in games, also I can build a small pc, a large pc, or a whatever I want PC. But the consoles will always be the same.

Next, I don't like playing every game with a controller, I want to be able to play FPS with mouse and keyboard. I just can't stand aiming and looking in FPS unless it's M&K.

One thing I like about consoles is that they are simple and work, and used to not require updates. But nowadays they get updates and are just as bad as PC games not working. So, I don't have any reasons to buy a console anymore.