Will Apple Stick To 1GB RAM For iPhone 6? Possible, But Unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
More RAM would be good, but let's be honest, IOS doesn't have to run its apps inside a Java virtual machine. So those programs will always run better, or more efficiently anyway.

MS made a mistake copying Java with C#. They should have just upgraded C++, like Apple has done. I am far from being an Apple fan, but SWIFT is heads above either Java or C#, not even going to discuss crap like Python.

Steve Simons

Honorable
May 31, 2014
I certainly hope they go to 2 GB of RAM. With a larger screen, that will be significantly more rendering that I would guess would fall upon a heavier RAM load if the GPU gets maxed out. But I'm not a real tech guy, so I wouldn't know. I like smooth start up and shut down times. RAM seems to help that.

Kieran Warren

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
I think in terms of specs it is the only thing iOS needs. Unlike a processor there is a very limited amount of optimization possible until you have to write stuff to secondary storage and make the system slower. 2GB would be a good move

nickul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Why, of course Apple is going to only have 1GB of RAM in the coming iPhone 6, and with good reason! They are a bunch of complete idiots!.. Why would you truly have multitasking capabilities in an OS in 2014, when you can have a convenient list of the last used apps, that when you launch, will start reloading those app from 0, with nothing saved?! pfff... i can't believe we are still talking about this..

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I usually get the new iphone every year, but if the iphone 6 only has 1gb, i'll be skipping it. I expect the only thing noteworthy the iphone 6 will have is a better camera and bigger screen.

Bluetooth LE, Touch ID, 64bit CPU, Great Camera, GOT ALL THOSE ALREADY with 5S

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Wow what a deal breaker that would be. Like the author wrote, Apple tends to double memory capacity every other generation, so I'm sure anyone who knows anything about the specs in iOS devices was expecting to see 2GB of RAM in the iPhone 6, especially considering Apple's transition to 64-bit. I just can't see the iPhone 6 coming with 1GB of memory. I think that would be a truly unprecedented and stupid decision.

They already have that. It's called a good phone.

let's say that 1GB will indeed be enough, just for the sake of arguement. Then i only see one reason... more money for them, same price less hardware cost (this is assuming that prices remain the same)
having a little more is better

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
Ignorance is bliss they say. Sometimes - often, the internet makes me feel so much smarter than I really am. It's both gratifying and disappointing.

Thanks guys!

(Oh, btw. It's coming with 2gb)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
If Apple already put 2GB in the 6, what will be the key selling point of the 6S? You have to think like Apple. They HAVE to keep a carrot hanging forever out of reach.
The memory upgrade is usually followed by a major performance boost the following generation. This happened with the 3GS, 4S and 5S.

Status
Not open for further replies.