Microsoft Pulls August Update Over BSOD Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
The Registry isn't too bad. It's just a bloated database. Back up Windows before you edit it, and you should be fine.

Would a system restore back to restore point created last Tuesday automatically remedy the issue on Windows 8.1 and allow only the good updates to be reinstalled?
It probably would. If your system is running though, I wouldn't do it.

Dan Neiman

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Why should you have to mess with the registry? Just go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates and uninstall the ones that are bad

No wonder, I've been having weird issues also.

(this Is with both win 8 & 7) On my laptop, when I plug in both my TV via HDMI and my laptop cooler via usb, all of a sudden my computer would just shut down, and after continuous testing to see what was causing the problem, I couldn't even boot to windows 8. Then I reinstalled to windows 7 and still had the same problem, so I plugged my cooler into a usb wall adapter and everything works.

Could these updates be causing this issue?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Windows 8: The only version Windows that had automatic updates break it. Upgrade to the future today!

You're new to this newfangled "Microsoft Windows" thing i take. Microsoft has released botched updates from time to time since Windows 95.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Windows 8: The only version Windows that had automatic updates break it. Upgrade to the future today!
Um.... no. Microsoft had issues with updates for Windows XP, Vista and 7 that did this in very specific situations. Personally, I updated my system with this update and had absolutely no issues whatsoever so I am wondering how exactly this issue crops up.

During the past few days, I had issues with the network cutting off. I reset the modem by shutting down the PC, unplugging the Ethernet and modem power, reconnecting them, and rebooting. That seemed to have resolved the issue, but did the faulty updates have anything to do with the network connection issue?

digicat

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
No wonder, I've been having weird issues also.

(this Is with both win 8 & 7) On my laptop, when I plug in both my TV via HDMI and my laptop cooler via usb, all of a sudden my computer would just shut down, and after continuous testing to see what was causing the problem, I couldn't even boot to windows 8. Then I reinstalled to windows 7 and still had the same problem, so I plugged my cooler into a usb wall adapter and everything works.

Could these updates be causing this issue?

No, that is an unrelated issue. Read the article again to see what the updates affected.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I experienced no issues with the updates running Windows 8.1 update 1. Before I install any updates I always take an image with Acronis 2014 or Casper. It takes about 5 minutes.

Aron Gustafson

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
I was affected by this. Woke up to find my system froze in a Repair Screen. Nothing would work not even Safe Mode. Had to delete the Font Cache related files and then it worked no problems after.

KS2Problema

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Looks to me like this article joins others in the general computer press telling people to go through the elaborate mitigation steps for *Known Issue #3* -- which appears from the MS page on the issue to be ONLY for those with lockups/BSOD/boot-loop issues.

Look at the mitigation steps for the less severe issues under Known Issue #2 -- they involve ONLY using the standard update uninstall commands and can be done in a minute or two.

Is this yet another case of sloppy tech writers cueing off each others' misunderstanding and/or bad writing and putting unsuspecting, gullible users who *don't* have lockup/boot-loop issues through an elaborate -- and somewhat risky -- set of mitigations for MS doesn't even suggest for their issues?

Looks like it.

Alethinos

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Would a system restore back to restore point created last Tuesday automatically remedy the issue on Windows 8.1 and allow only the good updates to be reinstalled?

Using a restore point fixed this issue on one of my win 8.1 machines. Didn't actually know about it at the time, so just went ahead and tried the restore point.

Status
Not open for further replies.