Thoughts on build?

jvrankul

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

• ■CPU: Intel BX80646I54690 I5-4690,3.50GHZ,4CORES,6MB CACHE,LGA1150
    ■MOBO: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 LGA1150,4DDR3-1600,RAID,PCIE3.0,SATA6Gb,BIGFOOT ■GbE,USB3.0,HDMI,DVI-D,VGA,uA
    ■RAM: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24(CL9D-8GBRL)
    ■SSD: Kingston 60G SSDNow V300 SATA3
    ■HDD: Seagate SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    ■GPU: Gigabyte GV-R928XOC-3GD 3G DVI-I HDMI 2x miniDP
    ■Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i High-performance CPU Cooler
    ■PSU: CoolerMaster GM Series 650W 80+ Bronze Semi Modular
    ■Case: SilverStone Temjin series TJ08E Black mATX Cas USB3
    ■CD Drive: LG H24NSB0 SATA 24X+- Super Multi DVDR Black OEM
    ■Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM 24" 1ms HDMI Full HD LED Gaming Monitor with Speaker

Thoughts guys? I will be paying ~$1600 in Australia, including having the PC built+extended warranty. I will be using the PC for gaming predominantly, I want to be able to run games at a decent frame rate on max settings (ArcheAge is an example).

Also my current PC has a couple of 2gb sticks of Corsair RAM I recently purchased, not sure of their specs. Would it be worth taking them out and adding them to the new build?

Vynavill

Honorable
Forget about adding your current sticks, as hybrid solutions never work well (at least from my experience).

The build looks OK for what you want, although I'm not so sure about the PSU and the case quality, but IMO could be more affordable with no decrease in performance.

Gaming series motherboards usually come just with gizmos you could do well without (such as Atheros ethernet's Killer chipset or better embedded audio cards), and with a slightly higher overclocking support. If you don't have particular needs, like a surround sound setup support, the same model without the gaming brand will be good anyway for your needs.

There's no need for closed loop liquid cooling for the cpu unless you want a more silent operation or unless you're overclocking. A cooler master Hyper 212 EVO will be slightly cheaper and will be still silent while keeping your cpu cool anyway.

A LiteOn IHas drive will probably be cheaper than your LG chosen one while still being very reliable.

By doing so, you can probably save around 50-70$ you can spend into a nice entry-level gaming peripheral or a good headset. If I were you, however, I would ditch gigabyte and get a sapphire tri-x cooler model of your 280x.

ZeroRequiem

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Looks pretty balanced to me.
But you should get an i5 4690K so you can overclock it.
Also if you could spend a little more on the SSD then get a bigger one. 60GB might seem to be a decent choice for the OS but do note that later on as you install updates and so on, that 60GB might become tight. I'd get at least a 128GB one or if you are as lucky as me you can get a 240GB for the same price as a 128GB. It worth the extra couple dollars.
And one more thing, never ever try to save money on the PSU, always get a quality one.

jvrankul

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

Is that PSU not sufficient? I didn't really try to save money on it, I just don't think that changing between bronze/silver/gold PSU's would make much of a difference. Also I don't see why I would need to overclock the CPU for my needs. As for the SSD, again it seems to me like its not a necessity, would it really improve performance while gaming or simply a quicker start up?

ZeroRequiem

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

I didnt mean the SSD for gaming, just for the OS, updates, plugins etc. I just recommended if you can afford at least a 128GB one then grab it (It really worth that extra 20-25$)

About the PSU that was just a general advice, nothing wrong with that CM PSU dont worry.

As for overclocking the CPU, well with sufficent cooling (which you have) you can squeeze out extra power from that CPU. Maybe right now you don't need it but later on in a couple years that extra performance will help. Also the difference between a K and non-K CPU is around 15Euros (In Germany) and If you ask me that extra power worth that 15Euros or 20$.

1. Whether a PSU is gold/silver/bronze/etc rated is not a measure of quality, it's a measure of efficiency. Quality is different, and depends on the components used. Cooler Master makes some nice PSUs, but the majority are lower end.

2. You're correct, there's no need to overclock an i5-4690.

3. SSDs do not improve game performance. They merely shorten load times and make Windows quicker. Using a 60GB one as a boot drive is fine - no need to install games to them unless you despise occasional 2-3 second load times with the burning passion of a thousand dying suns.

Vynavill

Honorable
I think his point was more over a capacity issue. 60 gigs are good for the os only and a couple softwares, as updates will eventually fill up space.

You might get some light games in it, but considering that nowadays AAA games require a minimum of 25gb of disk space, it's going to fill up fast. I have a 120GB one and I'm only keeping one game installed there, as the rest is occupied by OS and frequently used softwares, plus their updates...

About the PSU, it's enough, but cooler master isn't exactly one of the best out there...
SeaSonic/XFX or some very particular Antec or Corsair PSUs may cost the same, yet be much more reliable...

jvrankul

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

I made a few edits. CPU to 4690K, I figure I might as well get it if I want to OC in the future. SSD to Kingston 120G HyperX SSD SATA 3. CPU Cooler changed from the liquid system which is probably overkill to a much cheaper CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO as recommended by Vynavill. Do you think these changes are ok? Also would the PSU be good enough?

Vynavill

Honorable
Just wanted to point out that, as I've already stated, if you're going to OC in the future, liquid cooling will be more helpful than air in achieving the higher clock-ups, but you should be fine anyway.
The hyper comes with 1 fan pre-installed, and you can always get another one to improve its cooling capabilities, or get more case fans to improve airflow.

I'll leave the PSU comment to people more knowledgeable than me ;)