05 Highlander won't start

A young

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
One morning 2 weeks ago, my 05 highlander with 2.4L engine quited running.It cranked but won't start. I had changed the fuel pump fuel filter crank & cam sensors. Compression was normal on all 4 cylinders (around 100-125),all cylinders get sparks but seem to be week.Security light wasn't brinking when cranking.What do i miss? Please help!

Solution
Did it quit while the vehicle was running or it just wouldn't start? Is there any sort of smoke coming out the exhaust while cranking? You also state that you replaced the fuel filter. Did you replace the whole pump and filter assembly or just the filter? If it's just the filter then possibly the pump went. I have never worked on a highlander so am not sure of the layout but the engine just needs air, spark, and fuel to work. You know the compression is alright as they're all over 100psi. The next thing I'd check is to make sure you have proper air and fuel flow. My suspicion is on fuel as normally intakes don't just plug right away and you'll see a gradual drop in power and fuel economy. You say the spark is weak and that can prevent a...

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Did it quit while the vehicle was running or it just wouldn't start? Is there any sort of smoke coming out the exhaust while cranking? You also state that you replaced the fuel filter. Did you replace the whole pump and filter assembly or just the filter? If it's just the filter then possibly the pump went. I have never worked on a highlander so am not sure of the layout but the engine just needs air, spark, and fuel to work. You know the compression is alright as they're all over 100psi. The next thing I'd check is to make sure you have proper air and fuel flow. My suspicion is on fuel as normally intakes don't just plug right away and you'll see a gradual drop in power and fuel economy. You say the spark is weak and that can prevent a vehicle from starting. I never really see all the spark plugs go at once and again usually it's a gradual thing as well with the vehicle being harder to start. There is a possibility you have a ground issue as that can cause a weak spark and the spark will usually be a greenish hue. I don't really see that though because the engine turns over and that draws more power than the plugs will.

Solution