Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefdr

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Hello all.

So I got a new 200 mbps internet connection. Now I need a new router to get all the juice from it through wifi.

Did some research around the web and got pretty disappointed with the reviews so far. The amount of 1 stars on these new routers got me really worried.

What would you say is the safest purchase to make? I'm not talking about the best speed or best range, but the one with the highest probability to work like it's supposed to.

Been looking at some linksys/netgear/asus but all these seem to have many problems.

Thanks!

I would not recommend the Dlink. I have an 820L that is a low end AC model, and the range is inferior on it. For the same money there are better choices, and I am sorry I purchased mine, and it is sitting unused now.

You will likely never find the best router by looking at reviews or even sites that test devices. In all cases they are testing the environment they run in. Peoples houses and the mix of neighbors running wireless devices varies greatly. Any review really is part route review and mostly a review of their houses wireless. This is why you will see one person saying router xx is great and another saying it is garbage.

The most unbiased site I have seen that compares routes is smallnetbuilders. Even they point out that the differences are only valid in their test environment and you can't compare results between routers that were tested using different methods even on their site.

Also the router is only 1/2 the issue it is also impacted as much by nic cards in your devices.

Also be aware you will never be able to use the full 200m over wireless if you plan to run multiple wireless devices. Almost everyone who test runs a single wireless device once you run multiple you greatly degrade the performance.

Mostly I would select a router on how well the manufacture is known for support and fixing bugs. That part of user reviews is a valid thing to compare

bobsilver

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 has some of the best wifi performance of any router ever. The performance of this router is due to several technologies and hardware enhancements including dual core cpu, explicit beam forming, high power rf amplifier sections and a host of other software enhancements.

There are many reviews and threads about this router. SNB as mentioned rates it most highly. Here is a link to a thread I started and you can get real world user feedback plus my personal experience. Being a consultant for Netgear I get to try a lot of gear. Currently I have been switching up and back between the Nighthawk R8000 X6 and the R7000. Performance is similar and unless you will have a lot happening simultaneously on the wireless activity the R7000 will be just fine.

Check out this thread. It is months ongoing so there is a ton of feedback for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1493322-netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-router-review-comments-thread.html

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.