Input on first water cooling build.

lieutenantDICE

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Hello everybody I'm looking to set up my first custom water cooled pc. I have a H100i but it doesn't perform as well as i would like. First off I have a I7 4770K that i would like to overclock to +-4.4 GHz. Also i have a EVGA GTX 770 that i would like to include in the water loop. I have picked out a few parts that i found while searching, but i would like to get some feed back. BTW i have a corsair 750D and i plan to use a 360 rad up top, and a 240 in the front.

Front rad - Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Dual 120mm Radiator

Top rad - Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Triple 120mm Radiator

Water pump - Swiftech MCP655 Variable Speed 12v Water Pump w/ G1/4 Thread Ports (Perfectly Tapped)

CPU water block (not sure about this one tho) - XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Black Edition (Intel) (Sockets LGA 115x / 1366 / 2011)

I haven't figured out a reservoir, GPU waterblock, tubing, or fittings.

Help would be awesome :)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
You have a H100 and can't OC to 4.4? Sounds more like CPU than cooling, I typically go with a Hyper 212 EVO for up to 4.5 or so, then CM GTS V8, Phantek or Noctua for 4.6 - 4.8 no real need for liquid cooling

lieutenantDICE

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

I can oc to 4.4 however I'm not happy with the temps (around 80 celsus under 100% load, I think). Also I like the idea of water cooling. And, I'm going through with it, just need a little help.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well a 360 and a 240 would seem like enough rad for a CPU and Video card, and it is if you are not clocking them.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284615-29-build/page-3
I have a monstra 80mm thick 360mm radiator on this build and with only the video card clocked, and it heats up the water more than the radiator can cool it down. As a resoult i have desided to add another monstra 360mm radiator to this build, in the hopes that it will be enough to keep both componits cool while clocked.

OK In your original list your MCP655 water pump choice and CPU water block are excellent choices!

I have not used those radiators so I cannot comment on them, but they should be fine.

Reservoir wise are you thinking 5 1/2" bay style or cylinder style, I love the cylinder style myself, that way you don't block off the bay front to rear airflow, because you still need a cross draft of air flow to cool the motherboard VRs and Memory modules.

I've used the Watercool brand Heatkiller GPU water blocks and they are excellent cooling performers and excellent fit, with zero problems.

So what do you need to know and where will you be purchasing from, as that will help to provide you with some links to look over.

lieutenantDICE

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Thank you for getting back to me everyone :). i rather not get a 5.25 bay res due to the the 750D would look weird with the sides of the optical bay being bare. any ideas on the tube res? i have a red black color scheme going on if that helps.

ill look up the watercool gpu water block and see if it will work with me. and, i;ve been looking at "frozencpu" so far havent ventured past that site yet.

drumminandstuff93 - I havnt overclocked past 4.4 as of yet i was reaching 80+ Celsius and the voltage was around 1.35 - 1.42 i believe. im new to the whole pc thing. only just built my first about 6 months ago, havnt really OC'd too much so the voltages might be to high/low.

Ok just looked up the Watercool/heatkiller gpu block and this one caught my eye
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Watercool-HEATKILLER-GPU-X-GTX-770-Hole-Edition-Ni-Bl-Waterblock--15538-pid-22601.html

As toolmaker said that the 2 rads would be ok for the components a stocked levels. would it be wise to up the thickness of the 240 rad? i have plenty of room up front if need be, however i have 75mm of clearance to my motherboard so i cant use anything over 45mm up top with my 25mm fans.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
The thickness of the radiator is more for higher water flow, than for cooling the water, I have parallel systems so I need a high water flow to keep things cool.
What I was trying to say, is that IMO a 360mm per component is the least amount of radiator that would be needed, if clocking the components is what your trying to do.
https://imageshack.com/i/j6j1srj
https://imageshack.com/i/0fleehj
This is my gaming rig I have 3 X 360mm rads paralleled for high flow, but I need that many to keep 2 X 580 and a CPU cool.

lieutenantDICE

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

hmmm well i cant fit anything more in my case other than a single on the back. im not planning to oc my video card, only a mildish oc on my cpu, since i play Arma 2 and 3 which don't max out the graphics card (or so I've heard).
however i decided to use a dual 5.25 bay res, any thoughts on one that would look good with the brushed aluminum of the 750D? ill probably just mod the covers to make it look better.
Also i want a fan controller, preferably one that has knobs and that can turn the fans (6 total) completely off. Any thoughts? Thanks for your reply :)

*Edit
just realized the rad and fans will take up one of the bays ill have to go with a tube res and controller.