Asus M5A97 R2.0 with AMD FX-6300 won't POST

stevejmitchell

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Hi, I've seen other threads with similar setup and tried the solutions presented. The rig my son and I are building won't boot, no video, and no POST beeps from the MB.

Here's my setup:

Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ MB with BIOS 210x-something
AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
Corsair CX 600 80 PLUS PSU

Like I say I've read some of the other threads and been through the troubleshooting guide on the ASUS web site.

I've inspected the CPU and all the pins are good and it's seated clean. MB/PSU will power up all the fans if I install everything in the case. (including with a GPU).

Right now I have it out of the case on the bench and am trying to just get the MB to turn on in a breadboard setup. I have the PSU 12v into the MB and the CPU/cooler installed. I have the speaker hooked up on the MB listening for POST beeps.

When I power on the MB the cooler fan starts up briefly then goes off. No POST beeps whatsoever.

What's weird is I noticed that if I have the HDD hooked up to the PSU (it's a WD AV-GP 3TB), the CPU cooler fan stays on and DOES NOT go off, but still no POST beeps. So I'm guessing this is something to do with a faulty PSU.

I'm running out of ideas for any further diagnostics I can try before swapping out PSU, MB, CPU (I guess in that order).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

That motherboard seems to be a nightmare all over the place on these threads. Did you connect you EATX cpu power connectors to your motherboard? And the 24 pin power connector? If you did and still has the same issues. Let me further investigate :)

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Haha that is what i just suggested too LOL Keep me updated for further troubleshooting problems :)

stevejmitchell

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for your quick replies last night.

Yup, no EATX power connector hooked up was my problem. The machine is running great now.

Two least obvious things (to me) that were important to solving this problem were:

..making sure I hooked up the MB speaker that came with the MB so I could listen for POST beeps
..clearly, proper power connections to MB

Also, as others have suggested in other threads, I was most productive when I started with the PSU, MB, and CPU by themselves (with speaker hooked up). Then I added memory and fired it up again, then I added the GPU, then the HDD. Then I put everything in the case and started hooking up fans, audio, usb, etc.

Today I've building a system around an i7-4930K on a X79 LGA MB. But that's another thread..