XBOX One OS on PC???

xiamandrewx

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Okay, so when you read the title you were thinking yeah.. this guy's pretty stupid. And I know it may be really stupid, but after reading this article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-22/xbox-one-has-not-one-but-three-operating-systems.html

IN THEORY, if the XBOne runs a stripped Win8 OS then a PC should be able to run XBOne OS. This is merely for speculation. I haven't seen many posts around google discussing this.

What does the community think? Is it possible? Would emulation be easier? Could we set up some kinda VirtualBox for the XBOne OS? Let's ponder a while..

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
From what the article is saying, it seems like the XBOne runs three separate OSes. The Win8 side of it seems to just be for misc things like Skype. While it could be possible in theory (and I'm no expert, so I could be totally off), I personally don't think it's worth the effort to set up. Microsoft probably wouldn't offer support for users trying to run it on a PC since it would take away from XBOne sales.

I have not kept up with the emulation scene, but I recall there were many issues emulating even last gen systems (DS and Wii come to mind) in terms of optimization and compatibility, which I imagine is equally difficult, if not more so, with current gen systems.

Both scenarios are interesting to imagine though, and I'd love to see it if somebody manages to pull it off.

xiamandrewx

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

No doubt Microsoft would not be for this at all. If there were a way to do it, then it would probably violate all kinds of EULA and warranties and such. It's still something to ponder. I'm not good with computers on the programming end, so I really have no clue, but it seems possible to run the next gen OS since it's already built on x86 architecture. Time will tell :p

xbox os has a stripped down version of win8os as well as its own gaming os.

they are coded specifically for the hardware that is included with the xbo so to get it working on other hardware would require at minimum custom driver support.

even if it was possible it would break all of their eula and would be taken care of asap in an update.

to be honest the idea is very similar to what emulators do. they emulate the console os to run games. often it takes much more processing power on pc to emulate an inferior system in consoles because of this.

--

it would certainly be nice if console os was just a paid program or add on like steam and purchasing a console was just the equivalent of purchasing a lower end gaming pc. this would mean all games would work across all systems and the world would be as perfect as walgreens. however there are a myriad of reasons why such a perfect world can not and will not exist...

-lots of money is made by console specific game releases
-lots of money is made by having people buy all the newest consoles
-since everyone has the same system, there is fair play across the board with no one person getting better performance due to better tech.
-if console os was on pc it could be hacked/cracked for free games
-there would be no reason for there to be three seperate os (wii/ps/xb) so companies would fold

while it all sounds good in theory it would be quite a massive change to current gaming hierarchy.

xiamandrewx

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
So, to clear things up here... I'm not suggesting Illegal activities, but I am suggesting something similar to CXBX or Dolphin. It's not strictly legal... it's underground. But you'd have to assume that someone trying to install a free version of the XBOne OS isn't looking for something "strictly legal". I think it would be a total waste of time to install ONLY the XBOne OS on your system b/c as stated above it would be totally buggy and peripherals like pointing devices and keyboards would probably not function at all.

SSDDX you don't think it would be easier to run an emulated next gen console on our standard PC's? IDK what I'm really talking about here, but I thought maybe since XBOne and PS4 are built on x86 architecture a run of the mill gaming PC could handle such emulation.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Isn't it time for a change though? I won't blame the devs themselves, but gaming companies today do have a myriad of despicable tactics. They essentially box a beta, sometimes even an alpha product, and make us pay them to beta test the game. Many games barely crack the 20 hours of play time mark on release while still charging the full $60, and then gouge the users further by releasing content that should have shipped with it as "DLC".

The thing about it is, you'd have to emulate the system on top of running the game. That can require an absurd amount of resources given where current gen (I refuse to call them next gen when they are released and technically current) systems are involved. Your standard PC definitely can not handle that; mine could barely emulate a DS without creating a storm of noise.

xiamandrewx

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I'm not saying you're wrong, however, I use dolphin (wii Emulator) on a normal basis and have no troubles at all... My settings are Ultra and my system is not that great. I'm using a Radeon 6670 and an Ivy Bridge Core i5 system. ANYWAYS! assuming emulation is out of the question.. What about a VM? I don't have much faith as I've rarely had luck running anything other than linux and android in VirtualBox. But as this topic was posted for discussion, I don't want to leave any rock unturned.

Everyone's feedback is much appreciated :bounce: It's nice to see i'm not the only one passionate about this topic. And Titillating: The points you made about the evils of console gaming is exactly why I switched to PC. The only thing that sucks about PC gaming is there are no current NFL or NCAA football games (madden, 2k, etc.), hence my passion to crack the XBOne OS. ;)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Well, I've been using a 4800 series and a Phenom II x3 for the past 5 or so years. Might explain why mine craps out on me when emulating anything more than a GBA. Some of the beefier $1500+ rigs could probably do current gen I suppose, but it's a steep price to pay when games are not optimized for that setup.

Emulation is an interesting field. I've always been an advocate of it, because sometimes people just want to play 1 game from that system and can't afford to buy it on a whim. Like Pokemon games. Them damn Pokemons. Besides, I'd argue that if the game is good enough, it will likely convince the player to buy it anyway in order to avoid bugs and things that come with emulation.

Not that I'm advocating piracy, mind you. Stealing is bad, mmkay?

zijiagens

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
t it's a steep price to pay when games are not optimized for that setup.
Ge5FWz