Trying to set up dual monitors, need detailed help please.

MrFreakshow182

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Hello,

I'm currently trying to set up dual monitors (to have an extended desktop, NOT to duplicate the displays) using my one graphics card, a geforce GTX 650. It has a mini-hdmi port, a dvi-i port, and a dvi-d port. The two monitors I'm trying to connect are a BenQ G2020HD and an fairly old Dell monitor (not sure about the model). The dell has a single VGA output and the BenQ has a vga output and a dvi-d output (I only just noticed it had the dvi-d output, so perhaps this makes this a lot easier now!)

I used to just have the single BenQ monitor plugged into a dvi-i adapter (using a vga-vga cable), which was in the dvi-i port. This worked fine. When I decided to use the second monitor, I naively bought a vga - dvi-d adapter and thought that would work when plugged in at the same time. It did not.

I then attempted using a vga splitter cable which would plug into the dvi-i port without realizing this would simply duplicate my displays and not give me an extended desktop.

I believe I have two real options now - buy a dvi-d - dvi-d cable (which I should've done first probably) or buy a vga-dvi-d ACTIVE adapter which seem pretty pricey. Or is it something else? I just don't want to burn any more unnecessary cash on components I don't need, hence why I'm being so precise as well.

One last thing - I know that both monitors, adapters, cables etc. are fully functional, so this is not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Use a passive DVI-I to VGA cable (because DVI-I supports the analog VGA signal) and then get a straight up Dual Link DVI cable for the other monitor.

If the DVI connector has the four pins around the flat pin to the left, then it supports the analog signal.
Use a passive DVI-I to VGA cable (because DVI-I supports the analog VGA signal) and then get a straight up Dual Link DVI cable for the other monitor.

If the DVI connector has the four pins around the flat pin to the left, then it supports the analog signal.

Solution

MrFreakshow182

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014

So for the Dell (the vga only output) a vga to dvi-i cable, and for the BenQ a dvi-d to dvi-d cable. Does that sound good? I found a single link (ie. 18 + 1 pin) dvi-d to dvi-d cable in a box of computer stuff tucked away, would that do the job?