How do I install an Asus Geforce 770 properly (and not fry it like I did with this one)

Not_The_Wires

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
<Mod Edit, don't post all CAPS, it's rude and equivalent to shouting>

Reply to mod edit :Sorry about that I was hoping to catch peoples attention with important details I'll keep it in mind in future. (formerly capped content posted below)

(1. While I have given you a start point to get a quick and more directly relevant version it'd be a good idea to read the whole thing in as you may notice other mistakes I made without realising)
(2 .Sorry, I couldn't get the picture thing working hence the links)

Short version: Tell me how to correctly install an ASUS Geforce 770 (skip to the part titled What I think I should do and what I need your advice on)

Let me tell you now a tale of woe that began long ago in a month known as February whence... yeah I'll skip that part.

Basically I managed to fry an expensive new motherboard and possibly a graphics card by making a rookie mistake.

How I made a massive fail

After carefully and methodically putting a new build together, after adding one component at a time and testing with a power on at at each new stage (turning off the PSU and pulling the mains cord) I then forgot to check how I'd wired it up. It was still wired up from the first rebuild attempt (let's not talk about it, I might cry)

I put my graphics card in the PCI slot, attached the two 6 pin into one 8 pin adapter. I used the yellow attachment thingy to put below putting two six pins into the adapter then plugging that 8 pin into my card. I did that with my previous card (an Asus Geforce 570 which served me well until nvidias drivers borked it) and it ran fine so I figured it'd be the same this time.

The main stupid thing I did (especially as I was so careful with all the other stuff) was not to rewire completely and check what was plugged into what.

The wire I used was one 6 pin end and at the other two 6+2 pin.
It was still plugged into 6 pin slot marked SATA and peripheral on my power supply from my last build. I didn't realise this. After checking every other thing under the sun I didn't check this.

https://imageshack.com/i/p82z21ysj

I know. Trust me I've berated myself enough for it.

Naturally when I turned it on... poof. That slight electronic smell and rising sense of doom.
The motherboard appears to be dead. After carefully removing the card it and trying to power the board up again it does't come on. It used to glow in the middle when the power was attached. Curses.

No idea if the card it ok or not. Given it a quick inspection and the capacitors seem ok but I can't think of any way to test it without putting it in a new motherboard. A motherboard it might fry.
A friend who does't know much abotut computer parts but does know about electronics suggested testing the card with a multimetre to see if it gave weird readings. Would that work?

I am lucky enough that I can afford replacements but I'm kinda scared to install a graphics card again until I'm absolutely clear on what to do. The manual (both the one that came with the card, and the full one on the nvidia website) just says plug one 6 pin and one 8 pin connector into the card then into the power supply. I wasn't sure whether to use the yellow adapter thing (picture further down) that converts two 6 pins into one 8 pin or should I have plugged it into

What I think I should do and what I need your advice on

After doing a lot of reading and watching many installations videos I believe should the follwoing

Use a wire with 6+2 x 2 at one end and an 8 pin at the other.

https://imageshack.com/i/iq2hCrJnj

Plug in an 6+2 pin into the graphics card 8 pin slot then plug a 6 + 2 pin into the 6 pin slot (but only using the 6 pin part, not the extra 2 pin part) on the graphics card and then plugging the 8 Pin into the section marked PCI E and accessory on my board.

https://imageshack.com/i/exWrM8UBj

Presumably you don't use the yellow adapter cable (converting two 6 pins into one 8 pin) if you don't need to?

https://imageshack.com/i/ip47ny4tj

Anyway I'm resolved to get this working. I'm gonna replace the board and the card (unless I can prove the current card still works)
I'm also gonna do a ton of research and take advice from here though before I install the graphics card.

So basically is what I've shown above the right thing to do? I'm not installing anything till I've taken lots of advice.

Schrodingers Card

So the board is dead. At least I'd be amazed if it wasn't, it doesn't power on.

The graphics card on the other hand is a bit schrodinger's cat. I don't know if it's dead or alive but to test it I'd have to plug it into a motherboard and I don't want to potentially fry another board.
Any ideas on what to do with that? Where to sell it (I've got ethics I'd mark them as faulty) and the dead motherboard?

At this point I'm also wondering how I avoided this trouble last time. That said the design of my old power supply (corsair 650 watt) only had 4 and 6 pin slots so it was harder to screw up.

Thanks for reading all that.
I greatly appreciate any help you guys can give.

Computer Specs
Processor: Intel i5 4690k
Processor Cooler: Stock intel cooler that came with it (since my dark rock advanced backplate won't fit)
Motherboard :Asus ROG Formula VII (probably fried) (be replacing with the same)
Graphics card: Asus GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 256 Bit, 3D Vision Ready, GPU Boost 2.0)
RAM: 8GB Corsair vengeance RAM (2 sticks of 4GB) DDR 3
PSU: RM1000 Corsair 1000 watt gold standard
Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung 7200 RPM

aaronfield

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

What you've shown above (6+2 into the 8 pin and just 6 part of another 6+2 pin plug into the 6pin plug on card) is correct. Make sure the card is pushed all the way in the PCIE slot also. Try the parts before you replace also.