PC upgrade for professional development (Virtual Machines)

mickybar

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2014
Hi all,
I'd like to upgrade (or maybe build from scratch) a new system that would allow me to work properly on my development projects, being able to run 1+ virtual machine, using products which can be very greedy from a CPU/RAM point of view.

My idea was an Intel i7 core, 32 Gb RAM and a decent SSD drive (500 Gb?).

My current system is 5 years old but, if possible, I'd like to reuse some components:

• ■Case Cooler Master Elite 330 Midi
    ■PSU Corsair CMPSU-450VXEU 450W (would it be sufficient?)
    ■GF GTS250 Gainward 512MB Green Edition (I am not going to use the Pc for gaming though)
    ■Monitor LG M2294D (1680x1050)

My budget is flexible, I know that such a configuration would be quite expensive, but it should be anyway cheaper than a laptop with similar specs.

No overclocking. Don't need to buy licences, I have a MSDN subscription. Purchase date: as soon as possible. I am located in UK, but I can buy anywhere.

Could you please suggest me a well balanced configuration?
Thanks!

aaronfield

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

Working on making it on PC Part Picker right now

aaronfield

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/JVbDQ7

Those are my personal suggestions and i know the price hurts. The monitor is made for professionals and can be changed to save ~$400. Otherwise I'd stand behind my build.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I think you should go xeon if you can. Why? The power efficiencies if you run it all the time. Then again it is pretty fast too. The CPU is expensive. The power savings will pay for itself.

The ones i particularly like are xeon e3-1220LV2 quad core cpus. These are great, with low power and fast. V3 are too expensive. Though if you get one of these babies you can run it all the time.

It supports all the virtual specs. Many of my pals are using e3-1265LV2 it uses 45W. It is fast enough to run any games with a good GPU. Electricity costs ain't cheap.