Dual-SLI KFA2 780 HOF friendly motherboards

tewkesape

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
HI all,

Wasn't 100% certain where to put this topic so apologies if it is not in the correct place on the forum.

I'm currently building a pc with a dual-SLI Nvidia KFA2 780 HOF in mind as I already have the GPUs to hand; for silly reasons I already have most components to hand but am currently trying to sort out the motherboard.

I am considering a Asus Maximus VII Hero Intel Z97 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-608-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2811) to use as the motherboard but am unsure whether the two GPUs will fit into the two PCI-E x16 slots as they are both about 3 slots tall.

So the question is:- Is the Motherboard listed suitable for use with the two graphics cards in a dual-SLI config or have I mis-sized the board? Otherwise what suggestions do people have for motherboards that would be suitable?

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I had to closely inspect the 780 HOF, because it appears to only use 2 slots, but with the large heat sink and fan cooler, it actually appears it would take 3 slots. This can pose a problem on small boards, but the ASUS Maximus VII Hero would be just fine.

Use the two red PCI-e 3.0 slots when you install the cards and it should fit fine, as long as you don't require the use of the lower two PCI-e x1 slots or the black PCI-e 2.0 slot. Because those would be covered up by the 780.

Hope this helps.

tewkesape

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Hey Xivilain. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the response.

I ended up going for a G1.Sniper Z79. For anyone wondering:- The 780- HOF does take up closer to three slots than the two