Computer Building Advice

CamelOsaurous

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
I am going to buy this build in about a week or so and I was wondering if there was any last second advice anyone has to offer.

PartPicker List

CPU: Amd Fx-6300
Mobo: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB
Storage: Seagate Barracude 1TB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X
Case: Rosewill Challenger
PSU: EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0
Fans: Two(2) Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm
Monitor Asus VS198D-P
Keyboard/Mouse: CM Storm Devastator

Will I need a fan splitter cable for the 5 fans (3 pre-installed.) And I suppose I would need a hdmi cable to connect the monitor?

I am also open to any builds better than this one around the same price range(~650 including Monitor+Keyboard and mouse)

Thanks

the blue devel

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
I recommend not using hdmi to monitor unless you have a low end monitor. Make sure you use vga, dvi, or displayport is the best if you have it. hdmi is much more expensive and not good unless you planning on hooking your pc up to a tv, because hdmi can do 1080p at 60 fps and 4k at 30 fps but it can also carry 5.1 audio channels. Thats why consols use it.

Just get a cheap vga cable.

You also cant split fan cables because they have to carry individual rpm data. The motherboard you want from the spec page http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/specifications/ only has 3 chassis fan connectors so your going to need to get a fan controlller for more fans.

CamelOsaurous

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

Ok, I am just going to dismiss the extra two fans and upon doing a little more research I realize the connection cables come with the monitor. Thanks

Also, I plan on doing just a little bit of overclocking will the stock fan just serve me well?

the blue devel

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
You can overclock with the stock fan but not much and if you push it, it will become very loud because it is running at 80% speed. Besides why would you need to overclock. if your only gaming then it dosent matter. That cpu is plenty for gaming. But if you rendering, encoding, compressing etc, then just get a intel cpu. There so much faster. More expensive but I have a intel core i5-3350p quadcore @ 3.1 Ghz and it just blows away my frends amd fx 8350 8 core @4 ghz.

CamelOsaurous

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

Thanks I suppose there really is no need for overclocking as I will primarily only be gaming and I am not one of those guys who needs to run everything max settings, I can settle for mid. Not insinuation anything about overclocking, ultra setting guys, or any of that.