New Build for Fall

OdusBK

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
My new build, includes basically everything
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kpc7sY

dont mind the network adapter, thats just holding the place of a similarly priced wireless router, i used it to get a more accurate sense of the total cost of the build. Mostly used for gaming, besides the occasional college work or other form of recreational activity. What would you recommend i change?

What shocked me the most was that the build on pc part picker was about $12 cheaper that the same build on newegg... and the build on newegg didnt have the headphones included.

Thank you for all input as it is all greatly appreciated

gizzard1987

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
The main things I would change...We'll first I would choose RAM that is 1.5v instead.of 1.65v. Haswell likes 1.5 better and I would also switch.to 2x4gb dimms instead of 4x2gb dimms. You are setting yourself up for having to buy all new ram if you ever want to upgrade. Buy 2 sticks and just leave 2 slots open. The ssd you choose is in fact a nice drive but the SanDisk x210 250gb is 25% faster and should be about 30+ bucks cheaper. I don't personally like that case but I'm more into flashier led lit cases. Great psu choice. Just an fyi Windows 8.1 should be 5 bucks cheaper and does actually give a slight performance boost overall in processing and gaming over Windows 7.

OdusBK

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
about the ram, that was an error, i was going to get 2x4gb just clicked the wrong option. Honestly i was really skeptical about windows 8, i love the simplicity of windows 7. I dont like how microsoft wanted to incorporate social media and all that into the operating system, and i dont like that trend in technology in general. Oh well:( if there's performance benefits at a lower price i might at well

gizzard1987

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Well windows 8.1 gave me a lot of doubts too. Then again so did Windows 7 after Vista. After my first week with Windows 8.1 it feels just like any other version of windows I've used. It's just figuring out the small stuff first. I did do a little tweaking initially to help with that. I set my PC to bootup to desktop mode instead of that app mode crap. This brings you directly to your desktop, WITH a taskbar and start button and it pretty much functions like Windows 7. It has it's qwerks but it's a solid OS in all honesty. Nothing like VISTA or Millennium Windows lol.