Building a budget PC rig around $200

Prantastic

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
For starters,
Hello to the whole community of Tom's Hardware. I am aspiring to continue my studies in the "software development or web design" side of computing. I haven't yet decided but I do know that I will be needing a new CPU rig as the current one I own is in a bad shape. (Ports are slightly rusty, casing is over 6 years old, etc)

I don't know exactly what I will be using as applications next year but I was hoping to create a rig under $200 - $250. I need something that's basic enough to run heavy softwares. I'm not considering to create the rig strong enough for gaming purposes as it will obviously cost more. I was thinking that maybe I will buy a PS3 since the prices dropped as of late for my gaming purposes and this way it might cost me less than building a rig with strong gaming abilities.

I also want the rig to be up to date, not outdated.

My current rig is:

Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 4350

I don't think this rig is good enough anymore as I got it about 4 years ago if memory serves well. The GFX card's fan doesn't work anymore. Also the computer seems to lag occassionally. (Using windows 7)

Can any of you suggest me some builds with perhaps reliable links of purchase?

Also, is my choice for building a CPU for work/study and buying a PS3 console a good one? I've never been much of a heavy gamer though I love gaming a lot. I've always been confined within budgets so what would be cheaper? Building a gaming CPU with a budget of $500 or creating a CPU for studying ($250) and buying a PS3 Console ($300)? The only reason why I'm stating such a low price for the CPU is because of taxes here. Certain budget processors that I have seen on the internet have proven to be quite expensive over here.

I live in Mauritius, Indian Ocean. If that helps with the suggestions and prices.

Thanking you in advance,
- Prantastic.

DubbleClick

Admirable
To be honest, 200$ isn't going to get you anywhere near a new pc. Just stay with the old one and possibly exchange your gpu if your current one stops working.

As for 500$, that could get you a pc strong enough to run current games. Not on max settings in full hd, but smooth on medium-high. Afterall, if you go with the tower/console for gaming is up to you.

Intel Celeron

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
On the bright side this rig will NEVER game but It's enough for web design but probably not software development. This rig is just an idea of what you can get for $250 and just stick your old drive in there.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RxxQK8

But your rig is better. If you're complaining about the ports just buy a new 1156 mobo for less $100. Your choice.