Discussion Virtual Box ran on MacOSX running Windows 7 having USB problem connecting Western Digital passport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
So everytime...

I connect the western digital to the virtual box running windows 7 on the macOSX, it does not recognize the USB device on the desktop of windows 7, I cannot run a search for drivers either. Has anyone ever ran into this problem before? And has anyone found a solution? I have went into through the settings to connect the usb devices and added the western digital device and still it is not connected properly. It does detect it as an unknown device on the desktop.

Mighty_Miro_WD

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi thompsontheghostbuster,
First, I would like to ask you if you tried to connect the WD My Passport with another cable or in a different USB port? Have you tried to connect other devices in the same computer to see if the problem remains?
In case you've already tried this and the issue continues, you may try to do this:
1. Connect the external drive and get to the settings of your Virtual Machine (keep in mind that you cannot access these settings with the VM running)
2. Go to USB and setup a filter for the device. With it connected, click USB on the left and then the plus sign. Select the WD My Passport. You should see then that the information below is populated. Leave remote to NO and click OK.
3. Boot the VM. After everything is up just unplug and replug the device and VB should grab it before the OS X does.
Hope this helps
Mighty Miro WD

Aug 21, 2014

Thanks for the reply Mighty Miro WD, I have tried this a few times and still it doesn't seem to want to recognize the device. Though I do have somewhat of a clue towards this, I plug in a USB thumb drive at that actually can be recognized by the Virtual box windows 7! I can even put files on this USB thumb drive as well,

So maybe the solution to this is that either the windows 7 itself needs drivers or the virtual box needs drivers. So a quick solution can be just to use a simple thumb drive and transfer files like so.

Status
Not open for further replies.