Need monitor suggestion help, new gaming rig.

Forte Silver

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I just built this new gaming PC and my old CRT is going bad. Makes a lot of high pitched silent whining and line distortion across the screen which is more intense the higher the framerate of the game.

So, I'm hoping to get some suggestions on a good gaming monitor between 140-160. Not above 160, maybe 5 bucks over. I realize there are other similar posts in this subforum but a few of those are for more than I have to spend and some of those monitors have since gone up in price 20-50 bucks since the threads were posted.

I'm hoping to get something good, something with quick latency, not a glutton for screen glare, nothing finicky with a history of hardware issues. Thought about going to walmart or bestbuy buy that didn't seem like as good an idea as asking the pros here. So, suggestions?

Price range - 140 to 160 or 165 at most.

Nearly forgot. Here are my specs in case it matters.

CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150

Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133

Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II

Case NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower

ruecklm14

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Forte Silver

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I'm not sure about that IPS stuff. Seems a bit gimmicky. I'm not looking for anything that has some sort of special advertised feature that comes at the cost of performance like a crappy all-in-one PC. Also not interested at all in multiple displays. Just want one display, 23-24 inch gaming monitor with no goofy gimmicks. Says on the page the monitor's IPS technology leaks a glow around the edges which would easily annoy me.

Here's what I had my eyes on until last night when the price sky rocketed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175

Something like this.

ruecklm14

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
IPS means that the monitor will have better viewing angles and better colors. So far, on all ips monitors that i've used I have never seen leaks around the edges. The monitor you linked me is nice though and should be good for gaming because it has a low response time.