A few questions: PSU, CPU, GPU, etc.

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Hey, I've got a 'few' questions that I hope you guys could answer, my PC's specs are at the bottom of the page:

- I'm thinking of upgrading either the CPU or GPU, but I don't know which. Before you reply with an answer, I'd rather NOT have to change my PSU (500W), due to electricity prices. So, which should I upgrade and what should I upgrade it to?

- I re-applied the CPU's thermal paste yesterday. I'm not sure if I was meant to, but I put the CPU fan back after finishing, and now the fan is essentially glued to the CPU. Will I just have to tug it off and hope to god that I don't wreck the CPU?

Sorry if this made no sense, I'm really bad at writing long things. Just say if you need anything explained!

efee205fd4a5c929ea0e8202eb599ad7.png

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014

I guess I wouldn't need to upgrade the PSU then?

What are you hoping to make your computer better at? It should be doing fine for basic tasks but the 6670 is a low power/low performance GPU so you will struggle in anything GPU heavy, the FX 4170 isn't very strong so you will also struggle in anything CPU heavy. Figure out if you want to be able to turn settings up higher or just get better FPS when gaming, or if you are not gaming specify your usage type.

As for your PSU, it only draws as much power as needed to power your computer, you could put a 1kW PSU in your system and you won't see a notable change in your power bill. What PSU do you currently have? Not all PSUs are created equal.

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014

I mainly use my PC for gaming, and I'm upgrading to hopefully get better FPS in my games.

I didn't build my PC, so I don't really know what PSU I have. Unless I've just been completely blind and have just seen the '500W' bit on it.

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Alrighty then, I guess that adds another question to my list then.

PSU suggestions? And how to fit them? I've never actually done it before.

Thanks for all the help as well!

plywrlw

Admirable

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Don't really have a preferred website, as long as it's trustable I'm usually fine with it, and I live in the UK.

It's cheaper than what I thought it was going to be. Thanks a lot.