DNS Server not responding

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014
Hi everyone I'm Having issues with the interenet with my pc. It recieves a network connection but won't connect and the trouble shootin says dns server isn't responding.

Now here are some important facts:
1. I live in a apartment complex and have no router. Only thing considered is that i have a ethernet port in the wall and thats it.
2. It worked literally two days ago just fine
3. My room mate is getting internet just fine.
4. This is lan line. I'm not using wifi

So please if you can help that'd be great thanks in advance.

Solution
if it doesnt work the put the settings back to normal. its an easy fix to route your DNS to your gateway. If that doesnt fix it then you would need to search for the DNS for your internet server provider and manually put that in. And no this wont hurt your pc. since you dont have your own router in your apartment I feel that this is mostly not your problem but a problem of the building. Unless nobody but you is having this issue. (my opinion)

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
go to start, type cmd, open that. Type ipconfig and press enter. Look for your default gateway, subnet mask, and your ipv4 address. write them down. right click the computer icon on th ebottom right of your screen. open network and sharing. on the left click "change adapter settings", you should have a wifi connections and an ethernet or lan connection. right click the ethernet connection, click properties then click ipv4 and configure. uncheck th emanual settings and type in your ipv4 address as your ip. it should auto fill the subnet when you click it, then type in your default gateway. on the second set of boxes for dns server, type in your default gateway for the primary dns.

see if that works

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

Any way that this could possibly mess up my pc. I think if I remmeber I'm getting different different network names for my network. I think Friday it was Network 2 and now I'm getting network 4, 6, 16 and others?

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
if it doesnt work the put the settings back to normal. its an easy fix to route your DNS to your gateway. If that doesnt fix it then you would need to search for the DNS for your internet server provider and manually put that in. And no this wont hurt your pc. since you dont have your own router in your apartment I feel that this is mostly not your problem but a problem of the building. Unless nobody but you is having this issue. (my opinion)

Solution